The 10 Easiest Vegetables to Grow In Your Garden From Seeds

Dreamz

Leafing Out
Reaction score
@Dreamz I didn't find one that looks like that, but it is a winter squash. Some countries may call them pumpkins, which is the translation of "calabaza."
Yes, calabaza is like pumpkin but the once I have seen in October is not the same. Ours is greenish on the outside. I am from Puerto Rico and that is what we call it. I have to drive an hour away to get some and freeze it in halves to cook with. I wonder if I can grow it in SW Michigan, I think is zone 6a.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, calabaza is like pumpkin but the once I have seen in October is not the same. Ours is greenish on the outside. I am from Puerto Rico and that is what we call it. I have to drive an hour away to get some and freeze it in halves to cook with. I wonder if I can grow it in SW Michigan, I think is zone 6a.
Yes, you can grow them in SW Michigan. Michigan State University is in Lansing, Michigan and their website has a page about growing winter squash: LINK

If someone does not come soon to help, you might want to start a new thread so that more people will see what you are looking for. @Pulsegleaner is very knowledgeable on many topics, but I don't know if he would recognize the winter squash in your picture (post #27).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
certainly can grow squash and pumpkins in Michigan. :) i like the picture you posted, but those may be an adapted to tropical temperatures and conditions sort of variety (i.e. they may not do well in the more hotter temperatures that MI can go through).

do you have access to a local seed library? look it up on-line. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This isn't "greenish" in the picture but Kitazawa sells seed for this one. LINK. Calabaza de Castilla Winter Squash.

It is a Cucurbita moschata. Dickinson is an old time US variety and there are others.

Welcome to the forum :frow.

Steve

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A website about squash has a page on Calabaza, and says it is closer to the wild ancestors of squash. They also say the seed is harder to find than most. They have a link to the squash @digitS' mentioned. They also have a link to one that looks similar to your picture when it is small:

La Estrella

La Estrella was mentioned on this page:
6 Interesting Garden Seed Companies — Best Bets to Buy Great Squash Seeds and Other Vegetable Seeds

Best wishes in your search!

eta: Rupp Seeds, the company that is said to have La Estrella, is located in Ohio close to the Michigan border.

Last edited:

Dreamz

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You guys are amazing! Thank you so much. Nothing done today. I think the Lord wants me to rest my knee. It has been raining all morning and still more to come. Not a heavy rain,just drizzling but continually.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You guys are amazing! Thank you so much. Nothing done today. I think the Lord wants me to rest my knee. It has been raining all morning and still more to come. Not a heavy rain,just drizzling but continually.

that's what it has been doing here with once in a while more than drizzles, but now it looks like it is clearing out so after this break i'll be able to finish planting the bean garden i'm halfway through.

john

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you for the encouragement. I started beets in soil blocks this year and transplanted them. Most have survived and are growing so I hope I get a harvest. Beets taste like dirt to me but my son and FIL love them so I want to grow for them.
Pickled beets I love, haven't had a straight one in years.

john

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Cantaloupe also to me is easy to grow I have always had success with them, cut in half and install ice cream now I have gone to other melons also. Watermelons I just grew for the neighbors horses they love them mine just get as big as a large softball and stop growing. The horses are gone and so are the watermelon.