The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've had it happen with squashes for a couple years. last year i noticed a couple watermelon seeds coming up near a compost area but something got to the vines after a few weeks. i've had peas sprout on their own when i've missed a few vines, but i've rarely seen bean seeds sprout the following year.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I occasionally get a volunteer bean, but it's very few compared to the number of dried beans that find their way into the soil. I let my "green beans" (blue lake bush and pole) go to seed after I have enough harvest as green beans, both for seeds next year plus to use as dried beans. I usually don't take those bean plants out until up in the winter and there are always a lot of late developing dried beans that get into the ground. Extremely few of them sprout.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just wanted to make something perfectly clear that I probably left open to individual interpretation at the beginning of the thread. I asked for a return of 25 seeds. That should read 25 seeds per variety that you are growing. Of course the free ones anyone got from the website you don't have to return.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You mean I have to count to 25 five times! I'm going to run out of fingers and toes!

It should be obvious but you never know.

I got two out of my three Mahlathini up yesterday. They look strong so I'm feeling a lot better. Those are the ones I was worried about. The only one that has not sprouted yet is my Cape Sugar #3 but it is still early. I have time.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok now that my bean markers are blank how will I be able to tell if the bean is a bush or a vine? I want to have the trellises up for the vines ahead of time and it looks like all my beans are up! 25 of each type of bean?! that means I need a calculator!!! LOL

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Honeycomb,

Did you request Pole, or bush types from me? If you requested Pole beans or the Unknown growth habit ones I would have already put up Pole supports and the planted those beans around my supports. Of course if you requested bush types you don't have to do anything.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you can count through all your fingers and toes one time, and then get through one hand of fingers one more time you know you made it to 25. It's tough I have a hard time with that one too. I might forget I've been through all the fingers and toes on the first try.

Last edited: