The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice updates everyone.

The CdC 226 is the larger seeded version, and I've never once seen it throw off a runner. My guess would be that it would be due to some outcrossing.

My update on the Armenina Black Giant is that is has grown a few tiny leaves and is still very short. About as tall as a short prescription bottle. Waiting for it to start growing a runner and climb.

Reactions: Hal

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My update on the Armenina Black Giant is that is has grown a few tiny leaves and is still very short. About as tall as a short prescription bottle. Waiting for it to start growing a runner and climb.

I'm not sure it WILL. When I grew the original plant, it stayed pretty short and I'm not sure it EVER got around to making a runner. There WAS a plant that made a short runner in that pot (long enough to reach the railing under the pedestal where the pot was and make one or two loops, But I think that was the Hashuli, not the Armenian Black.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice updates everyone.

The CdC 226 is the larger seeded version, and I've never once seen it throw off a runner. My guess would be that it would be due to some outcrossing.

Good point, I actually haven't grown CdC 226. Perhaps a fascinating out cross will be evident in the next lot of seed!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Question for the pros... What's the best pest control that you recommend on beans? I normally don't need to spray mine, but since I have so many grow-outs this year, I don't want to take any chances.

Japanese Beetles are crazy this year. I've been handpicking and drowning them by the hundreds. (Fortunately they're going after one of my ornamental vines first and leaving most of the beans and roses alone.)

I've also seen a couple of bean beetles and squashed those. And an army worm here or there.

I have Sevin (concentrate), Spinosad and Neem oil on my shelf right now. I've heard a lot of good things about Neem, but I am nervous that it could burn the plants... But then there's the added bonus of fungicide, protection against rust (not really had a problem with that before either.) They're pretty well half grown at this point and beginning to set flowers. What do you think?

Also, Russ, that Molley's Zebra sure is a pretty plant. It has a deep red color to the vines. I'll post a pic for you Saturday when I get time.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are the Bambarra beans. They are growing!

Bambarra beans.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Question for the pros... What's the best pest control that you recommend on beans? I normally don't need to spray mine, but since I have so many grow-outs this year, I don't want to take any chances.

Hi Journey,

I have used Neem oil, and even applied it during daylight on 90 degree days. Didn't seem to hurt beans plants at all. It seems to help but needs to be reapplied about every 4 or 5 days. Won't rid your beans entirely of the Japanese beetles, but seems to reduce the number. Neem oil is suppossed to reduce the beetles desire to eat. In special cases where some varieties seem to be particular favorites of these bugs and they really gang up on some kinds of beans I will use Sevin only in spot cases. I use it very sparingly because it kills bees too. I don't like killing our pollinators.

How long have Japanese beetles been in your area? I understand that after a number of years their populations begin to fall. I was first aware of them here in Illinois in 2011, they were the worst that year. Since then they seem to be emerging from the soil later than they did 3 years ago and seem to have reduced their number slightly but I still thought they were bad enough last year in 2013. If I found no more than 5 beetles in my garden each day I wouldn't even bother with them.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the Molley's Zebra photo.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Severe drought here!

I may have to begin watering by the bucket in a few days!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score

Thanks, I will try the Neem then. I've been mostly handpicking the Japanese beetles. It's an ongoing job this year. I've never had so many before, only just a few, but this year hundreds. I remember my father-in-law was always fighting them on his roses, so I guess they've been around for awhile. I know they really like grape vines too. Fortunately, the beans aren't their first choice.

I have a hive of honeybees, so I like to be very careful for them as well. That is a lot of why I usually don't spray unless I must. I think the Neem is supposed to be safe for them after it dries though.