The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have harvested three of the four (5?) bean varieties Bluejay77 sent me to try. WINTERGREEN is a bush bean. Although a few of the first seeds to germinate were taken out by chickens or vermin, I got a good harvest from the thirteen seeds that were planted.

The HARARE SUGAR bean is a pole bean, but not one to grow overly tall, I'd probably classify it as a half-runner. Of the six seeds I received to plant, I managed to get 34 seeds harvested. I'll keep a few and send you most of the remaining. WIth so few pods, I didn't get to taste them, but the seeds are beautiful.

The last bean I harvested today was the CHROM BUSH bean. When I received these beans I noticed that some beans were more rounded and some a bit elongated so I divided them and planted them separately. Indeed, these were NOT bush beans as they quickly out grew their fence and I had to add another four foot level for them to climb. I have a very good harvest from the twelve seeds I separated out. Plenty to send back as your share.
The 26 plants from the more rounded beans are still growing. Some of these put out short tendrils, but most seemed to be a bush variety. I'll be getting these picked once they start drying out a bit more. These second, rounder CHROM seeds produced a more flat, wide pod than the climbing CHROM which was more rounded in shape. I believe I was right in thinking they were two different varieties whose seed looked very much alike.

The fourth bean -- LONG TOM -- pole bean was a tall climber but late to flower and still is putting out new flowers and pods. From the original twelve seeds I had to plant, there should be plenty of beans to send, try, and save. They are certainly doing the best of the four/five varieties.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Evening moon has one plant of it that was the last to finally flower.

this last plant is a leaning bush, and it is making beautiful smallish WAX pods. Definitely wax, not just going yellow early. They seem to be sloooow to ripen, but there is plenty of time.

At least one of the Hanna Hank has some more pods developing. Needed that.

Second crop and late to flower varieties are beginning to happen, so now I'm in a second...waiting...period, reminding me of late June and early July.

@Bluejay77 or @ninnymary are you going to the heirloom garden expo in santa rosa the 9th, 10th, and 11th?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, I won't be going. I just took a week off mid August and I'm taking another one mid October. I don't dare ask for another day! I don't understand why they do it in the middle of the week. Wished they had it at least on Friday also. :( Hopefully maybe next year. Are you going? Any more doctor's appointments in the bay area?

Mary

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have harvested three of the four (5?) bean varieties Bluejay77 sent me to try. WINTERGREEN is a bush bean. Although a few of the first seeds to germinate were taken out by chickens or vermin, I got a good harvest from the thirteen seeds that were planted.

The HARARE SUGAR bean is a pole bean, but not one to grow overly tall, I'd probably classify it as a half-runner. Of the six seeds I received to plant, I managed to get 34 seeds harvested. I'll keep a few and send you most of the remaining. WIth so few pods, I didn't get to taste them, but the seeds are beautiful.

The last bean I harvested today was the CHROM BUSH bean. When I received these beans I noticed that some beans were more rounded and some a bit elongated so I divided them and planted them separately. Indeed, these were NOT bush beans as they quickly out grew their fence and I had to add another four foot level for them to climb. I have a very good harvest from the twelve seeds I separated out. Plenty to send back as your share.
The 26 plants from the more rounded beans are still growing. Some of these put out short tendrils, but most seemed to be a bush variety. I'll be getting these picked once they start drying out a bit more. These second, rounder CHROM seeds produced a more flat, wide pod than the climbing CHROM which was more rounded in shape. I believe I was right in thinking they were two different varieties whose seed looked very much alike.

The fourth bean -- LONG TOM -- pole bean was a tall climber but late to flower and still is putting out new flowers and pods. From the original twelve seeds I had to plant, there should be plenty of beans to send, try, and save. They are certainly doing the best of the four/five varieties.

Thanks Smart Red for all your work and observations. All the stuff is good to know. Will be looking forward to seeing the seed.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 or @ninnymary are you going to the heirloom garden expo in santa rosa the 9th, 10th, and 11th?

Marshall I don't think I'm going to work this trip in to my gardening activity. It's right in the middle of my peak seed harvest. I would be gone from here for at least a week. It would be nice if they had this Seed Expo the second half of October. The weather in California has got to be beautiful in the autumn.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall you will just have to go, take pictures, post them and let us all live vicariously through you!!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
hi Russ, i'll have some beans to send to you soon! :weee this year i had a really good crop of Black Nightfall. and i'm not sure if i have a nice crop of Candy or a different type i was growing close by that looks similar.

i have a question about the color of Candy's pod. should it be green or should it have a reddish color to the pod? i grew a type called Brockton Horticultural and i hope i didn't get them mixed up when i went to replant. the pods have been striped or mostly red and about 6-8" in length which is the description of BH and i want to be sure if they have similar appearance to the pods and beans. i grew them in with my corn so which ever it was seemed to love winding up and over the top of the 9' tall stalks and growing over to the next stalk. i remembered you said Candy was an aggressive climber and needed good support. guess next year i will have to plan the support to be much sturdier and taller! either way, i'm in :love with this type being very productive along with the Black Nightfall.

i only got 3 beans from the Maine Sunset this year. the bush beans didn't do well and seems they got munched on by some cutworms. then the rest got crowded out from my potatoes growing too close and sprawling into their space. i'm still pulling spuds so i may have a few surprises coming from that patch.

i have 1 more pole bean i'm waiting to see how they dry out before i give you my report. we've had a mild temperature summer here but it has been wetter than usual so i'm watching everything carefully.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
hi Russ, i'll have some beans to send to you soon! :weee this year i had a really good crop of Black Nightfall. and i'm not sure if i have a nice crop of Candy or a different type i was growing close by that looks similar.

Chickie'sMoma

I can't imagine what seeds you might have to send me.

I have grown both Candy and Black Nightfall this year and have lots of that seed. I don't think I sent you any of the African beans to grow and return fresh seed. However if you have something entirely new that I don't already grow that would be interesting.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
after finding my extra Candy and Brockton Horticultural to compare the new stuff to, i'm still unsure what they could be from. the beans are bigger but i figure they need to finish drying.

I didn't get any new beans this year figuring i should work with what i got on hand. my schedule has been a little crazy so i didn't need too many to look after.

oh, and i got the other bean mixed up. it's not Maine Sunset, it's 3 Scarlet Beauty beans that i was able to save.

here's a pic comparing the beans i got from my mystery-Candy or Brockton Horticultural. the difference between the Candy and BH seem to be the color of the stripes and spots. Candy tends to be more along the pink/light red. BH tends to be dark brown spots and stripes. as you can see from the pic the strips and spots are pink on this year's beans!
2014 Candy 1.JPG

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
after finding my extra Candy and Brockton Horticultural to compare the new stuff to, i'm still unsure what they could be from. the beans are bigger but i figure they need to finish drying.

oh, and i got the other bean mixed up. it's not Maine Sunset, it's 3 Scarlet Beauty beans that i was able to save.

here's a pic comparing the beans i got from my mystery-Candy or Brockton Horticultural. the difference between the Candy and BH seem to be the color of the stripes and spots. Candy tends to be more along the pink/light red. BH tends to be dark brown spots and stripes. as you can see from the pic the strips and spots are pink on this year's beans!
View attachment 4306

Chickie'sMoma,

Your Candy is the one with the pinkish background color and the red streaks and speckles. Your Brockton Horticultural has a white background when the seed is new, and red streaks and speckles. The Brockton's background will turn light tan as the seed ages. All the seed in the center of your photo looks large seeded like it might all be Candy. Some of it has not developed the pinkish background color. The seed shape and size looks like Candy. Scarlet Beauty is a red horticultural bean. Where did you get your Candy bean from. You can compare your seed to mine on my website. www.abeancollectorswindow.com