The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
100_4812.JPG

The Beige outcross of African Premiere are good and productive.

I'd been thinking the seeds were the same from all the plants, but I think some are curing to very subtle different shades. It might be good to leave them like this, and it might be a useless exercise to try to separate the shade differences.

The plants all did well of this variety. I think it is basically true breeding. I had these in 2 separate spots. One place was among the hottest of my garden, and those plants produced fast and well as the heat increased, and then they really looked bad. I suppose I could have tried to save them, but wanted to get as much from her neighbor Lila Stuart as I could, so out they went. The other 2 plants in the main part of the garden are looking good, and are right now making a nice steady production.
I think these are one of the heavier producers!

They are definitely not plain janes!

Yes, the plants are semi-runners. The kind I sometimes call Quarter-Runner.

They would grow well with a 3 or 4 foot stake or trellis, and they grow well flopping over each other in a mat.

The short staking is better. Gives them more light, a more sudden and complete production, and are easier to find and pick.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quite likely. The original Bantu and FPM/AV seeds were in all different shades from tan through purple to near black (hence I think the "Mixed" part of the name. But based on what I have seen (both in my own growing and in pictures of the seed from people I sent seed to who grew it themselves) it all comes back purple.

Reactions: Hal

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's a better picture of the Contender outcross, still doesn't quite do it justice though. You can faintly see the purple-ish pattern that the beans have. Looking closely at the seeds and Russ's website it reminds me of Conserva's pattern, just a lot more open and tighter.

beans 021.JPG

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been harvesting some seed from the Andean/Ecuador beans, still a few that haven't flowered yet or if they have they're mixed up in the tangle of vines at the top of the netting. To date 3 or 4 different seed coat patterns. Definitely not a snap bean, the pods are as tough as old shoe leather, I steamed one sacrificial lamb with some other beans, the pod....talk about tough but the beans which were very small at this stage were tender and sweet, might make a good shelly? but I think their main use is probably dry.
The two corn kernels that were in the mix of bean seed I had grew, about five ft. and each produced one ear. One has been harvested the other is still immature , I don't think it's going amount to anything, but if the weather holds, who knows. The one harvested, the kernels are a red burgundy in color, and the ID I've got so far is probably a corn used for brewing beer.
I have a thread on GW if anyone wants to see the observations I've made on these beans and corn. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/legumes/msg0413545127523.html?35

I still have two varieties that flowered late and are just starting to produce beans it's going to be iffy if I get seed from them, the rest are either finished or I'm collecting seed now. I did bag a few flowers on most of them as I grew so many different ones this year and my garden isn't big, so, there may be a few crosses in the ones I didn't bag.
Mr. Tung's grown from some older seed I had has produce one vine with different looking pods, almost the look of a greasy bean and appears to be a later bean as all the seed from the rest of the Mr. Tung's are already picked and dry.

Annette

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
100_4817.JPG

Anney's African are one of my biggest concerns. Only one seed left to spare, and 2 plants survived so far. They look alright and there is still enough season.

There are a few other worry varieties. White Coco is another worry, but I think I saw a few pods setting on a plant today.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll get these in the mail in a couple of days.

Mahlathini.JPG

Mahlathini #15 – All this from two plants. I did not eat any of this, it all went to seed.
Strong vigorous growth. Large leaves, pure bush habit, no tendrils or runners. Blooms had a pinkish blush to them. Wide flat seed pod with a lot of reddish splotches, 4” long. Dried pods easy to hull.

Timbavati.JPG

Timbavati #48 – OK as a green bean, not good for dried beans. The beans I planted were pink but the beans I grew turned out to be white.
Medium growth, not outstandingly vigorous. Kind of slow to sprout and grow. Pure bush habit, no tendrils or runners. White blooms. Narrow round seed pods, 4” to 6” long, pure green. Dried pods were very wrinkled and difficult to hull.

Volta.JPG

Volta #58 – Ok as a green bean, not good for dried beans. The beans I planted were orange but the beans I grew turned out to be white.
Vigorous growth. Pure bush habit, no tendrils or runners. White flowers. Narrow round green seed pods 4” to 6” long. Dried pods wrinkled and difficult to hull.

Lazy Housewife Red.JPG

Lazy Housewife Red #41 – Pods tough as a green bean. When breaking them I thought they would do better since the inside was that clear green I like to see in a green bean. Still very good as a dried bean.
Very vigorous growth. It did not take long for the vines to reach the top of my 12’ high trellis. Definitely a pole bean. Pink blossoms and cream colored blossoms on the same plant. Pods 6” to 8” long, lets call them flat but knobby where the beans were. Some pods were green but most had some red splotches. Dried pods pretty smooth and easy to hull.

Cape Sugar #3 your #73 – Failed to sprout

Latest posts