The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even after pods have been dried down a lot with fans. It wouldn't hurt to allow seed to sit open to the air for at least two or three more weeks. Put them on stryofoam plates or something similar and let them sit in your house somewhere at room temperature.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here outside of Philly, we generally have humid weather in the Fall and a fair bit of moisture in most years. I wind up picking pods as they yellow/brown and shelling them before mold takes off. I've even had problems with seed germinating in the pods as they don't dry fast enough. I wouldn't recommend force drying them with a dehydrator, but use a fan to keep the air moving and consider shelling a few to check on them as they dry. Good luck!

That has been my experience too. Our weather is often rainy or humid. Pole beans always fair well for me, because they get more air circulation up high. It's the bush beans I have to keep a very close eye on.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
If anyone has bush beans that are being subjected to too much rain when the pods are trying to to dry. They are molding and decaying. Go back and look at my post and photos on page 57. If the majority of your pods have yellowed. Pull the plants out by the roots and devise something to hang them on off the ground and dry them in the sun up in the air just like most of your pole bean pods do.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here we are September 22, 2014 and there is a light frost on parts of the grass away from the house.
Will have to check out the pole beans today on my off site located six miles out into the rural areas, and see how those plants that are still trying to grow if they are still alive. Especially concerned about Armenian Giant Black.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Took A quick 12 mile round trip ride to check the big bean plot out in the rural area of Woodstock, and amazingly no frost. The big bean plot must have been protected by the circle of trees that surround the open area where I garden. Armenian Giant Black has some lower pods that are beginning to yellow.

Wouldn't you know it now that we've had this one colder night. The next two weeks are supposed to be above normal in temperatures. Hope the temperatures stay above normal and no frost for at least another month.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
First cowpea pod came in
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5%3B28%3Dot%3E6%3A56%3D8%3A%3A%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2793695349244ot1lsi

Note, while the seed is currently sort of silver grey, and that certainly is a color mature cowpeas can be, my previous experiences (and my memories of what the seed I planted looked like) leads me to assume that these peas will darken as they dry and wind up a sort of pinky brown (the color I think is called "clay") with the spots going black.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner, Noami !

I got your seeds in the mail Thursday and Saturday.

It's just amazing how nice this old seed is looking now that it's getting refreshed. Thanks to both of you.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @journey11,

Your return seeds came today in the mail. They are just beautiful. Thanks for the valuable information about the varieties.

Everyone who is growing varieties in this African collection and returning seed plus some info on the beans is making keeping the African collection alive so much easier. Thanks to all.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I finally got those Prescott's OFH seeds in the mail today! You should have them by Friday afternoon.

I've also thrown in some seeds of a pole bean variety that I don't think you have yet - I won't mention anything else about them until you get the package, don't want to ruin the surprise. ;)

Latest posts