The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Hal,

Glad you got your computer troubles taken care of. How's your gardening season going? You must be getting close to getting some new seed from some of the plants you have been growing since September. Maybe you can put up some photos of any interesting seed you find in your grow outs while our gardens are in their long winters rest. Well my garden takes a long winters rest, but some of our other gardeners like Baymule who live in a southern U.S. climate will be at it again relatively soon.
It is still going to be a bit till it is fixed, I'm borrowing a laptop in the meantime.
The gardening season here is going poorly we have had incredibly dry weather and incredibly hot weather, one of the days recently was 114.8. The dry weather has led to a massive problem with two spotted mite and I have been unable to control it as the available control methods cannot be used in hot weather as some do more harm than the mites!
I'm going to get seed increase on the majority of what I have planted but I have lost entire plantings but of course have back up seed to sow later in the season. The plants I started back around September for crosses got damaged by hail the day after I did the crosses so I lost all the crosses but the plants did have some pods with pure seed which I have already harvested. I still have another 6-7 months depending on the weather so plenty of time.

I've posted some photos on my flickr that I linked earlier in the thread.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hal, are there beneficial bugs that will eat the mites? I have orange and black assassin bugs that showed up and they decimate the aphids for me. :love I am so happy with them, that I caught some in a jar and took to the new place!

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hal, are there beneficial bugs that will eat the mites? I have orange and black assassin bugs that showed up and they decimate the aphids for me. :love I am so happy with them, that I caught some in a jar and took to the new place!
I have considered releasing predatory mites but they are expensive and the conditions where my beans are will likely be too hot and dry for the predatory mites.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hal I tried to go back through older pages of this thread and my eyes can't seem to spot your Flickr link. Can you give us your Flickr link again? I'll bookmark it this time so I'll have it all the time.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Marshall lately? I've sent him an email and a personal message. No reply. I think his internet connection must be down again.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
His info page says he was last here on Nov 17. I think he does have extended periods of time when he doesn't have any internet service. Let's hope he is OK.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Hal. I have it bookmarked now for future viewings. You have grown some very pretty looking seed.

Latest posts