The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A bush Hyacinth Bean that is day length neutral, a couple of different varieties from the UK. I'll be growing more varieties then I ever have before in my small garden.
Cheeres,
Annette

I'm assuming that is the same bush one I got at some point (sort of reddish brown seeds?) If so let me know how they turn out.
My own lablabs (I prefer to use lablab to hyacinth bean, since a lot of the ones I grow are not particularly purple) were a washout. It turns out that pretty much ALL the commercial strains used for food are too long season for as far north as me. Looks like that project on making a bicolored lablab is a no-go, ay leas as long as I am here.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ, i got your Shortwave Sunshine yesterday! they look prettier than their pic!

So glad you like the seed. Just select them for the same seed coat and for a true bush type. You might get some beans that throw off runners. Those type I will pull up and discard in this particular variety, as the bean came from Junin which is a true bush that grows without runners. It will be nice if the bean will settle down fairly quickly, and establish a stable growth habit.

MikeySci

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Just discovered this forum, and I have visions of beans in my head! Is it too late to participate in the Easy Bean network this year? (I probably only have space for 3-4 varieties)
Cheers,
Mike

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @MikeySci

:welcome

I'm pretty certain there'll be another round of the little easy bean network for 2015.

Hang onto your login stuff and keep checking and posting here. I have the feeling it is going to be even better for 2015!

Meantime, here's an excellent link of beans that'll get your visions of beans even more vivid.

http://abeancollectorswindow.com/beanpage1.html

And then there is this one:

http://isa.ciat.cgiar.org/urg/agreement.do

(The ciat site is kind of complicated to navigate through, but once you get the hang of it, oh berjeebers, 35,000 varieties of beans!)

Yea, here you'll have visions of beans you might not have thought existed...

MikeySci

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks! I actually discovered the CIAT site first, and then found this forum after google searching for people who might have access to beans from CIAT. #G26650 and #G27313 are crazy! I ran a library workshop for kids last summer where they got to make little planters and try out different kinds of seeds. I think they would have fun with these colorful beans.

On that note...on the 2013 Easy Bean forum there were some posts about sending requests to CIAT, did anyone have success?

Mike

Latest posts