The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, each short row that runs the width of the bed is marked with a 5 to 12 inch long piece of wooden stake of 1x2, using a sharpie marker. One is visible in the picture that has the Toad in it. In some beds, every other one is on the opposite side as the one next to it. Also, every coffee can that has the source seed packet in it is so marked, duct taped on, marked on a piece of heavy paper... actually the paper comes from cutting up the boxes that my cats' meow mix comes in.
The only problem I had with the system was remembering to keep the markers marked exactly the same. This is very important this year with all the outcrosses with similar names, such as flamboyant 2012 and flamboyant 2013 outcross #1. No mixups allowed!

I did see the soldier bean stake. Every 3 is a row of the same thing then, I see. Have you had any trouble with the Sharpie disappearing from the wooden stakes in previous years? That's what happened to my 20-some tomato varieties last year. The weather or sun must have worn the writing off of the tomato stakes. Somebody else mentioned that happening too. I am so paranoid now of disappearing ink that I also chart a grid on paper of all my plantings.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have already remarked some of the stakes.

Some of the pole beans are already beginning their running. Those that need it will get some of my old 8 foot 1x2's. When I go to town for monthly shopping I'll get a roll of fencing and make better climbing cylinders, similar to what I have for the peas, but 8 foot tall.
Beanieman, my list is small compared to some others, but it is growing, and will grow more than it seems. Some of those outcrosses will make several new varieties.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Marshall ! All those beans look so pretty. So healthy and nice looking. Looks like a Bean Zoo all growing behind that netting. Not so the beans will escape but to keep the wild critters out. That's really getting me inspired for when my season gets warm enough here.

Like that Toad The Bug Enforcer. He say. "Mr. Bug you come here for a meal". "Well Son Ain't Gonna Happen." "Except you'll be my meal"

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also have Lizards. Oh! I found out that those dark lizards that seem so tanned, and act like sun worshippers are the very SAME Blue-Belly Fence Lizards that are not yet warmed up!

Stumpy the Lizard has disappeared, but there are a bunch of new ones.

Also have some Blue Tailed Racers and some Alligator Lizards.

So far I have seen two Garter Snakes, both small. One of them had an unusual tan colored stripe instead of our usual local subspecies' yellow colored stripe. I guess genes can flow to here from the Sierras by wandering Garter Snakes. Or maybe they do like the blue belly lizards, and change color as they warm up.

But I especially like the toads and frogs who get down into the soil and munch on grubs and millipedes that can eat bean roots.

The more frogs and toads, the better.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
.........I am so paranoid now of disappearing ink that I also chart a grid on paper of all my plantings.

Something that seemed to work for me was to use indelible ink and turn the writing toward the north. Since the sun never hits the label the name stayed. Of course, all I use is a number or letter symbol for long plant names and check the real name on my planting chart.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something that seemed to work for me was to use indelible ink and turn the writing toward the north. Since the sun never hits the label the name stayed. Of course, all I use is a number or letter symbol for long plant names and check the real name on my planting chart.

That's what I was wondering, if it was the sun bleaching it out or the rain washing it off. I will try facing them north then.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
DGranny, perhaps you should edit and delete your address from the message board and send it by starting a conversation. Check above your avatar at the top right of this page for inbox. Click on it if you see a red number indication you have a private message.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure, you can send me another variety. Your choice. Bush preferred since they will go in where 45 has yet to appear. Just 4 seeds in a normal envelope, marked "hand cancel please". Thanks!

I sent another bush variety today. Red Rooster I think it's called. I put it in a letter envelope, but that sure didn't help the cost of mailing. Post office still charged the same. From now on all seeds go into at the minimum bubble padded envelopes.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would be interested in any of your bush variety.
Andrea Munn
12380 w. range view drive
Calhan, Co 80808

So DGranny are you prepared to grow and send back 25 seeds of every bean variety that is part of this bean growing effort this year? That is the beans that are pictured at the start of this thread on page one.

Did you ever know Amy Hawk who lives in your town. She has a bean website called Simply Beans which is a part of her E5 Ranch website.

These are the bush varieties that are left.

1.) Admire Shnitbonen
2.) Piet Special
3.) Star 2000
4.) Star 2052
5.) Transkei
6.) Outeniqua

Let me know what you would like to grow of the above 6 beans, and you get to pick a free variety off my website for every two of these you choose to grow.

Latest posts