The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Russ, Woods Mountain Crazy beans look like speckled pinto beans, the seed coats come in different colors, black or brown on a tan background or almost solid color. This is a picture of the original seed I was sent. I get mostly the black speckled ones now. I'll email you a link to a thread where we talked about this bean.
DSCN3591.jpg

Pulse, I grew 3 or 4 FPJ plants in a tub and when they formed beans I just let them go to seed, when the pods were dry I picked and shelled.

DH, is helping post these pictures but sometime down the road he's going to try and teach me to do it myself that should be fun LOL.

Annette

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Annette, ask your husband what picture size he selects for posting. When I post pictures they are like big, in your face kind. I like your size better.

P.S. Even though I am not a bean aficionado, I love reading this thread and seeing everyone's passion for them.

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mary, he resizes all posted photos using an application for Apple computers called 'ImageWell' to a width of 500 pixels, the other dimension is corrected automatically by the program. Hope this helps :).

Annette

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ, Woods Mountain Crazy beans look like speckled pinto beans, the seed coats come in different colors, black or brown on a tan background or almost solid color. This is a picture of the original seed I was sent. I get mostly the black speckled ones now. I'll email you a link to a thread where we talked about this bean.
DSCN3591.jpg

Pulse, I grew 3 or 4 FPJ plants in a tub and when they formed beans I just let them go to seed, when the pods were dry I picked and shelled.

DH, is helping post these pictures but sometime down the road he's going to try and teach me to do it myself that should be fun LOL.

Annette

Annette, do you have a scanner by any chance? It takes very nice, accurately colored pictures if you lay them right on the scanner bed. Beans won't scratch it either. (Then crop out the empty space surrounding them.)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Annette,

Thanks for the look at Woods Mountain Crazy Bean. That's a pretty neat technique with the color scanner. Had no idea that could be done.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Beanie Man,

How are the plants of the Red Calico looking where you live? When did you actually plant them. Are you getting blossoms on your plants yet?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO sent me some Armenian Black Giant to propagate for him. The seed didn't look very good but I planted them anyway. There were four seeds and I planted them around one single pole. The first time I looked at the planting only two of them came up. The two that emerged from the soil didn't have cotyledons or even leaves. The second time I checked on them. One of the plants looked like it was drying up and the other one appeared as if it was trying to start to develop some small leaves on it's little stub stem. I think when they come up without leaves they call that bald head. When a plant like that begins to develop some leaves, and sometimes bean plants recover. I call them "bean plants in repair" (sounds like a good name for one of these new modern rock groups). They are healing and slowly coming back to life. Hopefully this one plant will grow, climb up the pole and produce pods and seeds before the season is over.

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I decided to start going through my bean stash this morning, some of my seed is getting pretty old so thought I do some germination tests, toss the older seed of varieties I have kept samples of from different years. This seed is from /08 and that year I only grew 3 varieties, Cherokee Trail of Tears, Mr. Tung's and Gold Marie. These 3 varieties were nowhere near each other so I'm pretty sure there was no crossing. /o8 was the first year I grew more than one variety so I think I have a mutation not a cross in Cherokee Trail of Tears, the seed coat is black with brown splashes. NOW, to see if these will germinate, I've planted them in a pot and put them on a heat mat, if any of them germinate I think I'll plant them in tubs so I can move them into the greenhouse if need be in the fall, try to save a few seeds.

Annette