the animals don't smell so much now

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have big bags of baking soda. could I use that instead of baby powder? we didn't get him bathed today like we were supposed to & the cold comes in tomorrow.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if baking soda will work that way. We do add baking soda to dawn for skunk baths but rinsed it off. If he has skin problems I would make trip to store for baby powder. Because it is used on baby's skin it is very mild.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep we do the baking soda, peroxide, dawn soap trick for skunks out here too. It helps a lot but it's not a cure all. Usually only takes 1 go round with a skunk for them to realize it's not worth it. My buddy has a German Wirehair Pointer who's tough as nails and getting sprayed is the price it has to pay to "dispatch" the skunks in the area. We keep waiting for the day he meets a porcupine. I don't think it will stop him. Slow him down yes but stop him? Doubt it. Probably will just make him hate porcupines like he does skunks. He's just as tough on pheasants as he is on skunks though so and he's super with his kids so my buddy just grins and bears it.

The dawn is supposed to break down the oils in the skunk spray but the baking soda & peroxide I'm not sure why they are in there but it does work. It's a very small amount of peroxide. We usually let that first mix set for a while 5-10 minutes to help Sikh. After that it's a mild shampoo usually an oatmeal based product & a separate conditioner because the dawn will make the coat dry & very course. But that's just been my experiences.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Murphey's Oil Soap and cold water does a pretty good job of cutting that skunk smell too.
The cold water is important as it keeps the hair... or the skin... from absorbing more skunk oil... Or so I'm told.
I used to have a big ol'dog who loved skunks. He did is best to catch them and bring them back to the house as often as he could. One summer he was getting late night baths in the yard just about every other week!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the dogs got their baths yesterday. it was 81 (today it's 39). dh hooked the water hose up to the garage sink so the delicate little babies could have a warm shower. I drive up & sam the 100# german shepherd has a big grin on his face as dh is hosing him down with warm water on the driveway. they sure do smell better!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
81 to 39!! Yikes! That's a huge temp swing! It's so nice when the dogs are clean and sweet smelling, but I really think they prefer a more rustic smell. At least that's the idea I get when my dogs roll in whatever smelly thing they can find after getting bathed. :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave Bonzo a bath in the tub tonight.

Then she fell asleep with a hot towel from the dryer.

I was pinned down under her in the Lazyboy until she could stir herself. Baths are always such a dramatic sort of thing for that dog.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I gave Bonzo a bath in the tub tonight.

Then she fell asleep with a hot towel from the dryer.

I was pinned down under her in the Lazyboy until she could stir herself. Baths are always such a dramatic sort of thing for that dog.

Steve
Little 4-legged drama queen, eh?

Latest posts