The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Sylvie! I will make your version too! :D I have tons of chive flowers flowering as we speak! What about the chives (green parts) can they be used as well? I already have the white vinegar version steeping and I didn't use the green parts.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The chives go in to salsa and get put in with eggs. I never have extra green stuff :D

I have used some in dandelion vinegar now that I think about it.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
tonight cream of greens soup :) with stewed rhubarb and yogurt!

I am not getting tired of rhubarb yet and plan tomorrow to make a jelled dish with it... but have started freezing some!

my vine leaves are so close to being able to be picked and stuffed then I steam them with rhubarb between the layers ..makes a fantastic sauce! for stuffed vine leaves

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Thanks Sylvie! I will make your version too! :D I have tons of chive flowers flowering as we speak! What about the chives (green parts) can they be used as well? I already have the white vinegar version steeping and I didn't use the green parts.
make some green goddess dressing, mix with cream cheese as a spread...put in sour cream with some salt and pepper as a topping

I love the flavor of fresh chives and am sad when they finish for the summer :(

whoops I realized you meant can you use them in vinegar :p sorry

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:frow HiDelight,

Cream of greens soup?! Yummy! (Post a recipe!!)

I do believe rhubarb NEVER gets old!! Mine has kinda peetered out after the apple tree's leaves came back. I think it is too shady. They are thin and short with great big leaves...but not big enough for a bird bath. (I saw some at Penrose State Park for that!)

O.k. tonite grilled chicken breast with steamed Yakama (or is it Yakima?) grown asparagus, and another side salad with the rest of my radishes, my chives and big jucy tomatoes (from California probably). (My dinners sound soo boring compared to everyone elses!! I need to grow and harvest an imagination!!)

Grow garden GROW!!! :watering

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... you guys are killing me! We're having herb turkey burgers tonight on toasted buns I bought on clearance from the bakery at walmart. I'm going to top the burgers with creamed spinach rather then using it as a side. The creamed spinach has been in my freezer from my spinach harvest back in April.

I'm thinking of grilling some Vildalida onions dipped in olive oil to throw on top too.

:p

I know when I get chive flowers where they are going to end up!!!:lol: Yummmmmmmmmmmm

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey, we had turkey burgers for Memorial day!! I grilled them and they were fantastic! I was entirely surprised at how good they turned out! Creamed spinish and grilled onions on top, great idea!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
all I do is cook the greens in chicken or other stock until tender... then puree them in the stock and add heavy cream salt and pepper to taste ..could not be easier!
OMG I NEED TO GO TO LUNCH OR STOP READING THIS!!! I AM STARVED!!!
big brown horse said:
:frow HiDelight,

Cream of greens soup?! Yummy! (Post a recipe!!)

I do believe rhubarb NEVER gets old!! Mine has kinda peetered out after the apple tree's leaves came back. I think it is too shady. They are thin and short with great big leaves...but not big enough for a bird bath. (I saw some at Penrose State Park for that!)

O.k. tonite grilled chicken breast with steamed Yakama (or is it Yakima?) grown asparagus, and another side salad with the rest of my radishes, my chives and big jucy tomatoes (from California probably). (My dinners sound soo boring compared to everyone elses!! I need to grow and harvest an imagination!!)

Grow garden GROW!!! :watering

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Tonight we had roasted chicken with stuffing. I used my own Sage, thyme, oregano and chives from the garden in the stuffing... and I pulled back the skin and stuffed the thyme under and then tucked the skin back over. I then rubbed it down with olive oil, salt, pepper and topped the chicken with sliced turkey bacon.

I sliced an onion and carmelized it to mix with corn and rice boiled with butter and basil.

Finally finished up with a chicken gravy and a salad with romaine lettuce and shredded carrots from the garden.

Lets just say... BOY AM I FULL!!!!

:caf

coffee and computer break... then I got stuck with the dishes after I cooked all that. :hu
Wow, I guess I really don't know how to cook with the food I grow. We had tonight Roasted Chicken with season all and salt as the seasoning and Stove Top chicken flavor.

Vfem your meal makes me want to hide in a corner. I have a pot of basil, parsley and chives on my breakfast table I am just too scared to use them.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Please do not feel like you are "boring" do not feel you should "hide in a corner" I am 51 years old and have spent my life trying to learn how to make wonderful meals and will spend the rest of my life working on making them better :)

I am so happy we are doing this thread because it helps all of us get and use ideas ...all of a sudden we will have tons of produce or some produce and isn't it nice to be able to just look back and say ...hmmmm that sounds easy and good?

the fact we have planted sees and grown things and cooked meals at all is monumental these days don't you think? no matter how easy or complex they are our creations! ... there are a billion drive thrus with stamped out cookie cutter food ...and only one kitchen that is yours!!! any dish you put on the table you made with your own hands is fantastic I think!

let's keep this going and toss forward ideas

I took couple of weeks to purge my larder last year only ate out of my pantry and freezer ..not a single trip to the store or out to eat... it was fantastic ..I scoured chat boards looking for recipes (although I cook free hand it is fun to at least try to start with a recipe :p) I figured out how much I saved and bought a new camera!

there is a reason we do this and any level of cooking any level of gardening any anything should be considered a step in the right direction towards what ever your goals are

my goals

a perpetual garden (something fresh all year around) and more self providing in life and less dependency ..I garden out of pure joy of doing it ....I adore fresh foods love eating fresh fruits and vegetables...like feeling healthy ...and they are so freaking expensive I can grow enough for myself and donate to a food bank

I would love to know your goals as well this thread can go anywhere as long as we share what we eat so we can snatch ideas from each other it is all good :)