The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've still got carrots, parsnips and parsley-root out in the garden to be pulled, I'm going to cover them with hay for the winter, so I can keep digging, hopefully, through at least January. Some of each were harvested last week for turkey soup. I have to say I think this is my best carrot crop ever! :)

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made tomato sauce with zucchini, onions, garlic and peppers. All from the garden, the tomato sauce I canned this summer. The herbs were from the garden as well.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot the onions! I have the best onion harvest I've ever had, a full bushel basket of them, out in the garage, and they are gorgeous! They're really nice cooking onions, too, Copra, from Johnny's. I'll be growing them again this coming season!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Glad to hear you say that Reinbeau, I need to try new onion types. Johnny's, you say?

Today I am making something with kale. Picked the majority of my kale crop yesterday before the snow hit, so now I have a whole bushel of kale. Kale soup, probably, and freeze the rest, or perhaps a veggie lasagna. I tried making it into crisps once, didn't care for it--but then again, I don't like potato chips either.

Going to try sauerkraut again from a cabbage that is not storing as well as I'd like, on a smaller scale than previous attempt. I have too many floating fungus spores in my kitchen for lacto-fermentation to work without a closed system and fermentation lock. Last assay ended up a really wrong shade of blue-green. Note, Copenhagen Market cabbage grown in New England does not store well. Outer leaves get all oogy, even in a root cellar where every other cabbage is fine. Red Acre is somewhat better in storage. Best of the batch was January King, which is pretty (blue-green w/ pink stripes on veins) and crunchy!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Actually digitS told me about an onion place I'm going to try out this season, Dixondale Onions, they carry Copra, too. If Johnny's doesn't ahve them this season (they don't always) then I'm going to buy from Dixondale. They've got some other varieties that sound interesting, too.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
triple gingerbread cake (made with fresh, dried and candied ginger) yesterday with fresh lemon cream cheese frosting ...1/3 cup fresh grated ginger goes in and while I did not grow it in the garden I grew it in a pot that moves from the garden to the house back to the garden so it counts right? :)

I love ginger and with this one flavor more is better where I am concerned this is a sharp cake with lots of molasses and a lovely tart frosting lemony from rind and juice ...frosted warm allowed to cool so the frosting is almost glazed on

this cake is so freaking good but dangerous to those of us with now willpower!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
triple gingerbread cake (made with fresh, dried and candied ginger) yesterday with fresh lemon cream cheese frosting ...1/3 cup fresh grated ginger goes in and while I did not grow it in the garden I grew it in a pot that moves from the garden to the house back to the garden so it counts right? :)

I love ginger and with this one flavor more is better where I am concerned this is a sharp cake with lots of molasses and a lovely tart frosting lemony from rind and juice ...frosted warm allowed to cool so the frosting is almost glazed on

this cake is so freaking good but dangerous to those of us with now willpower!
Can you tell me about growing ginger. Do you just dig up part of the root and the rest keeps growing? How big does it get? A pic of the plant? Maybe you could start a new thread about it so I could learn more about it. Thanks. :rainbow-sun

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just checked my carrots... they look good to go, so I'll pull them next week to use for glazed carrots on Christmas eve!

Glad to see people are still harvesting everywhere! ;)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wicked good onion soup w/ bread:

For the bread:
This is the 6-3-3-13 Five Minutes Per Day bread, with the following substitutions:
1/3 regular flour substituted with stone-ground whole wheat
1 cup regular flour substituted with rolled oats
Add 3 tbsp. fresh chopped rosemary

For the soup:
2 large white onions, sliced
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. olive oil
*cook these together in a soup pot until onions begin to caramelize
2-3 c. homemade stock, either beef or chicken. I used venison stock reduction from a venison roast we had.
1/2 bottle dry-ish white wine, the drinkable kind
couple of bay leaves
*add these to the cooked onions and simmer 20 minutes
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. thyme
pepper to taste
*add these to the soup and simmer 5 minutes

Now, I usually make my 5 minute bread as rolls instead of a loaf. In which case, you put half a roll (sliced crosswise) in each bowl, pour 1 generous cup of soup over top, and melt some good cheese on top of that--the roll will be sufficiently crusty to stand up to soup. If you were doing a loaf you may wish to toast a slice before drowning it in soup. I'm using Grafton 1-year cheddar for the cheese because that is what I have, but really I'd prefer something like a Gruyere for this.

Add a salad from indoor greens on the side, a cobbler from frozen fruit for dessert, and dinner is ready in about 40 minutes. The key is really good stock, if you use the canned sort you'll end up with edible but not awesome soup.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh that onion soup sounds so good!!! I made a lot of duckgoosen stock yesterday this would be perfect thank you!

JoJo seriously it started with a green bud on a piece of fat juicey market ginger I stuck it in a pot of dirt ..did not bury it just lay it on the top of loose damp potting soil..and pushed it down about a half inch ..then it sprouted spread filled the pot ..I cut some off when I need it ..it makes a really nice houseplant and is supposed to flower but I have not had that happen...

I have to start a new plant this year however I have noticed this one kind of just looking tired and I want a back up ginger!!!

I have put it directly in a rasied bed here and had it last two seasons before a cold winter did it in

lemon grass..turmeric...taro...(if it is not waxed or treated makes a stunning and useful house plant) is the same way you can have an endless supply if you plant it in a pot and just let it fill that one then

there is a thread around here on doing this I know I have posted about it ..

Latest posts