The best tomatoes to grow where you live........

my3boysmom

Sprout
Reaction score
They should have sprouted regardless of the light. Seeds don't need the light till after they're out of the ground - maybe it was too cold. They do need to be kept warm until they sprout.

OaklandCityFarmer - Have you tried saving hybrids? I just wonder if maybe since other plants don't come back well from hybrids if that might be the problem.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my3boysmom said:
They should have sprouted regardless of the light. Seeds don't need the light till after they're out of the ground - maybe it was too cold. They do need to be kept warm until they sprout.

OaklandCityFarmer - Have you tried saving hybrids? I just wonder if maybe since other plants don't come back well from hybrids if that might be the problem.
I really don't grow many hybrids and definitely do not save from the ones I do grow.

I meant the mixed results I've had were from just not controlling the pollination and the environment and receiving some variations afterwards. May be my compulsiveness as a scientist or perhaps some cross pollination did occur.

All I know is now we have a system that works, we grow and save about 35 different tomato varieties and have 10 in the "breeding process" test garden in attempting to develop variations. So works for me. :D

Latest posts