The Compost Crew

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think the same I place cage in different place, that spot fertilized .
@Nyboy Does Harvey dig? How long do you leave the bun in the box? Do you just put Harvey out to graze first thing in the spring or do you build up to all that "fresh green goodness"? How do you use the winter's accumulation? Can we get a pic of Harvey here? Sounds like Compost Crew to me!! (more questions may follow ;))

I used to sprinkle the dried "Mother Nature's Miracle Gro Pellets" all over my lawn when I had rabbits before. It is just wonderful stuff! I use about 1 pellet per inch when I seed it straight into the flower beds (yearly, usually mid fall), not sure how the coverage worked for the lawn but it was way less and still better than with none.
Caution: Do NOT add to container plantings unless all you want is foliage and few flowers.
This spring I was able to add a nice heavy sprinkle of hutch waste, the winter accumulation of manure and dropped grass hay, to my veggie garden. (No idea how big it is, let's just say 12'X10'). It got to sit for over a month before being worked in. That bed is now being used to hill in some perennials which are not at ALL happy on being moved. The beans and zucchini I did plant seem to like it. Most of those will go back to the rabbits, which go to the pellets, which... well, you know!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use a wire dog crate with out the pan, it does have a wire bottom but much larger space between bars. Spring I started once a week, now it 4 to5 times depending on what going on in my life. I buy a lot of fruit and vegetables that never get eaten, all go to Harvey. I know rabbits should not have some veggies because of gas, I trust Harvey to know which. His hutch is on cement patio ( I moved him closer to house so he has a fan July -Agust) It is about 2 feet off the ground, there is a wooded part for sleeping ( he rarely uses) outside hardware cloth pen. His droppings fall thu floor onto cement where I just rake it up. Will get photos tonight.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just a little update on the new crew: only one kit made it so far, I don't know what hit them but bloat/diarrhea slowly picked them off. I have no idea what it was and the research I have done is not helping me much. The survivor, let's call it Sukitu for now, had it too but is slowly coming out of it. Suki sure seems to be a good mommabunz now that she has had the chance to raise a live kit. Our lil' Shydoe used to have that name because of her markings, and crawling into "Aunt Suki's" hutch at 5 weeks old. Talk about taking a double take, there was Suki but not, took me a sec to realize what I was seeing was WAY too small! I wear my glasses more often now when I go out to feed...
Back to the new kit:
It is tiny but was one of the larger kits in the litter, hope having all the dinner's to itself will help!
such a wee thing: 20170710_114129.jpg
lunch!!:20170710_114041.jpg
...just love those lil' feets! :love

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since it could be a number of things such as pathogens, bacteria, virus, alergies, birth defect, etc. ... if there is another similar symtem or death ( kit or adult ) take it to your Vet. for a culture to see if the cause could be identified.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blackberry leaves can also help with scours. Plus, rabbits love them! Give them willow branches, the inner white layer of bark contains salicylic acid, which is aspirin.

Latest posts