The Cost of Education

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the cost to the taxpayers, I'm talking about the stuff that the kids have to bring themselves.

When I started school, after kindergarten where we needed a "nap mat" the only things we had to bring were a Big Chief tablet
2578148312_155ff5161a.jpg

and a couple of wooden pencils. That was it.

Fast forward to today. Here's the list of supplies for grades K-6:

http://archive.austinisd.org/academics/parentsinfo/supplies/

and, in case you didn't notice individual schools may require more.

Somehow, without all that stuff I managed to graduate from college with an engineering degree. Other kids went all the way to PhD. WTH! :rant

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember the paper and pencils, #2 by the way. And a clipboard. That was it for grade school.

You had an advantage though. I got my Civil Engineering degree in spite of never going to kindergarten. It's not that it wasn't required. Kindergarten wasn't even offered.

One year at college, three quarters, cost $1750. That included all tuition, dorm room, and a five day a week meal ticket. Books were extra. You know, you can make it through a weekend on one loaf of French bread when you are young and broke.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is one of my HOT BUTTONS!! Our schools here are AWFUL!! Have been for decades now.

We taxpayers put in more and more money, and the kids get less and less education. They made a big deal when the Lottery was approved how it would cover all the educational costs for the state.. yeah right! Every year they want more of our money for the failing public schools here.

Thankfully our city has many Charter Schools, that have long waiting lists. They actually teach the three "R's" !! Amazing!!

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Another thing, There were about 250 people in my high school graduating class. If I recall correctly we only had about 3 drop-outs.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a big political push to privatize schools, which would save money, because they could hire teachers for less and not have to give them benefits such as insurance and retirement. I see positive and negative in that. Since teachers are such an influence on the kids, I would want very qualified and caring people in that position, not just whoever is willing to work for the lowest pay. I do think they need to do away with the tenure thing. No one should be guaranteed of a job solely due to longevity.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I loved those "chief" tablets!! I remember one year in my daughters high school, she took an art class. We had to purchase hundreds of dollars of supplies. They provided the classroom and the teacher! Does make you want for the "good old days!" She went to college for her nursing degree. The price of her books was absolute highway robbery. Several of the text books were over 400.00 each!! Thank goodness she at least ended up with a good job!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
There is a big political push to privatize schools, which would save money, because they could hire teachers for less and not have to give them benefits such as insurance and retirement. I see positive and negative in that. Since teachers are such an influence on the kids, I would want very qualified and caring people in that position, not just whoever is willing to work for the lowest pay. I do think they need to do away with the tenure thing. No one should be guaranteed of a job solely due to longevity.
I disagree with this completely. I send my daughter to Catholic school because the public school are no longer fit for raising children. Our teacher's make much less have less benefits, work a longer school day then the public school teacher's because our school day is longer and the kids do much better. They are respectful and pleasant to be around. The are aloud to pray in school actually it part of their day. Our teacher turn over rate is pretty low. Teacher aren't tenured and if there are making the grade then yes they are let go. Happened a couple of years ago and it was the best move they could have made.

:happy_flower

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the many reasons I homeschooled my two boys K-12.
Apparently they weren't harmed by the experience. They are hardworking, fun loving young men with a conscience who continue to pursue knowledge. They are also the apples of their father and mine's eye. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will bet they are wonderful boys, thistle! I think that really is the way to go. I was tempted by it- but my daughter was such a social butterfly, I hated to take her away from all her peers...Now that I know more about homeschooling I realize you can get together with groups of other homeschooled kids. At any rate, it all turned out fine in the end.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You now, my kid is in kindergarden, and other then a nap 'towel' (they do not allow mats any longer), they gave me this HUGE list of gluesticks, pencils, crayons, note books, ect ect.

I'm not talking 1 or 2 of each, I'm talking about 8 gluesticks, 2 packs of 20 pencils, 2 packs of colored pencils, ect! WHY? Because these are 'classroom' materials for the entire class and they can NOT have their name on things because they'll be shared and do not belong to your child. Are you crazy? They DO belong to my child, I do not pay for other children or families stuff. They want their kid to have things for school, get it yourself, or go get a church to donate. I do not make enough money to spend $30 on school supplies to supply other people. I'm broke, you can't make me. I bought her all her own stuff, and you better believe I put her name on HER things. Everyone else, you're on your own!!!

Latest posts