1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Rotating to a warm season green.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

The Flower Show

Discussion in 'Flowers & Roses' started by Beekissed, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Jul 16, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

Tell him that some window boxes are standing on legs! Not actually attached. :D A faux "window" box, per se. Painted a bright pop of color...something whimsical...hmmmmmmm...I LOVE planning things I don't have to do. :gig

Sam BigDeer, Nyboy and thistlebloom like this.
  2. Jul 16, 2017
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

:yuckyuck Ha! Yes, I definitely need another project Bee,(like a hole in my head) thanks for the tip!
    I do like the vision of overflowing window boxes painted in something fun and bright, That would add some interest to our boring house exterior.....

Nyboy likes this.
  3. Jul 17, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

Most houses have a boring exterior, IMO. Don't know why folks design such boring boxes to live in...uniformity, I suppose? Cost?

Even this log cabin we have here has a boring exterior, but that's the way Dad and Mom likes things...very spartan, very brown, very plain. I think they must have Quaker or Shaker blood in them back down the line. o_O

What I hate to see are houses without a porch or even those with little stoops or tiny porches...why bother? A porch is the smile on a house...a nice, deep and wide porch gives a house a warm and friendly look, IMO. So, no porch, no smile. Little porch, small smile. The porch is the first impression, so why not make it a good one?

For some reason, design and color mean a lot to me and evoke certain feelings...not sure why that is, but I've always had to change the dwellings in which I've lived to some degree in order to feel calm and joyful about living in them.

journey11 and thistlebloom like this.
  4. Jul 17, 2017
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

We don't have a porch, and just a tiny entry, so no smile, just a wink!
    But we're off the road and you can't see the front of the house from the driveway. All you get is the garage, which is so unwelcoming IMO. But we didn't design it, it came this way. So we work with what we have. :)

5. Jul 17, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

I know how that goes....I've mostly lived in rental places and had to work with what I had. Flower gardens and such can go along way to making things look more welcoming and lovely and yours are definitely that.

I've never yet lived in a house with kind of porch I would love to have but I'm betting that one day I will, when I finally get Home.

Collector and thistlebloom like this.
  6. Jul 17, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Bee I agree I love a porch, I think backyard decks killed them. People went from sitting on porch chatting with neighbors, to privacy of back deck. Thistle I can understand your husbands feeling. I hate when the stucco of my house has to be drilled to attach something.

thistlebloom and Beekissed like this.
  7. Jul 17, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Sorry to disagree about the window box. First of all the plants in the beds are right up to the bottom of the window. If the plants are blooming and the window is too there will be no separation. You also can't plant anything in the window box that would trail since it would not be seen by the plants on the bottom. But, I would definitely paint the window trim with color. Of course, it would look funny if just the window trim was painted so then you would have to do all the trim of the house. Yep, another project.

Love the cottage gardens. I expect nothing less from you! haha

Mary

8. Jul 21, 2017 at 1:37 AM
    SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Deeply Rooted

thistlebloom likes this.
  9. Jul 21, 2017 at 1:48 AM
    Carol Dee

Carol Dee Garden Master

My flower garden *plan* exactly :D

Beekissed likes this.
  10. Jul 21, 2017 at 1:57 AM
    Carol Dee

Carol Dee Garden Master

Our front porch, such as it is... when we bought the house it had been enclosed and used for storage! Oddly I can only find photos of it taken in winter!

004.JPG

Sam BigDeer, Collector, pjn and 4 others like this.