LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Additionally, I just might forget it outdoors and those roots absolutely cannot freeze.

Just don't let it freeze.

Thanks for pointing that out!
That could very well happen with me, I have a poor hosta still in the pot from the store 3 months later, it was in a corner on the patio, behind a chair...:\
I will just keep a close eye on it and not take the chance. It's packed in peat moss, along with an elephant ear, in a cardboard box. I plan on keeping it on the back porch, which should stay around 50-55F. If temps drop too bad I have a spare bedroom we keep closed off that I can store them in. My aunt said not to let the elephant ear get below 45F and she packed them together. Sure wish I had a root cellar...:(

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out!
That could very well happen with me, I have a poor hosta still in the pot from the store 3 months later, it was in a corner on the patio, behind a chair...:\
I will just keep a close eye on it and not take the chance. It's packed in peat moss, along with an elephant ear, in a cardboard box. I plan on keeping it on the back porch, which should stay around 50-55F. If temps drop too bad I have a spare bedroom we keep closed off that I can store them in. My aunt said not to let the elephant ear get below 45F and she packed them together. Sure wish I had a root cellar...:(
I would plant the hosta in the ground and mulch it. The elephant ear is never winter hardy that I know of.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bee any chance of a close up of window boxes ? There are several gardens I have wanted to photograph but feel funny. Like I am invading owners privacy. One was a wheel barrel planter in front yard at time Mary was looking for wheel barrel
I saw a strange flower "bed" earlier this year. It was literally a bed with a metal head and footboard with a raised area in-between full of flowers. It was decoration in someone's front yard! Very creative!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a strange flower "bed" earlier this year. It was literally a bed with a metal head and footboard with a raised area in-between full of flowers. It was decoration in someone's front yard! Very creative!

we had some old bed frames that were used that ways for a few years, when the bottom part rusted out enough we just took the top two parts and put them in another garden for a few years (Mom grew morning glories on them) and then they were along the fence line and then they got taken to the metal recycler.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
we had some old bed frames that were used that ways for a few years, when the bottom part rusted out enough we just took the top two parts and put them in another garden for a few years (Mom grew morning glories on them) and then they were along the fence line and then they got taken to the metal recycler.
That's the way of all garden decorations, I've found. Most have a limited life expectancy, so it's best to just enjoy them while they are here. The concrete foundations holding my two antique aluminum amusement park ponies crumbled, and the cast iron lawn chairs are rusting. The 50+ year old sawed-off utility pole that is a support for both my blue bottle tree and birdhouse is beginning to disintegrate, and the birdhouse, home to many generations of bluebirds and tree swallows, is also not much longer for this world. My own house would like to go the way of the birdhouse if my continual repairs to it did not continue.

Latest posts