The Hugelkultur Experiment

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are 4 photos of the hugelkultur bed construction.

6615_116.jpg

6615_117.jpg

6615_118.jpg

6615_119.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bet you'll get a nice batch of mushrooms out of that if nothing else. :/

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It will be interesting to follow your results. When we cleared land and piled brush many decades ago in a previous life, blackberry briars were often the some of the early things that grew out of those brush piles. And they grew very well. Some weeds that grew out of those brush piles got huge.

It makes sense. The wood acts as mulch once it starts to break down, keeping moisture in. Since there is probably not a lot of nitrogen there, it probably does not heat up that much, yet it does rot, especially sassafras or other not so great lumber varieties. I'd think it would work less well if you use heartwood, or if you use cedar, locust, hickory, and certain oaks. But a good trashy wood that has already started rotting should do well.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know how I missed this thread before. Very interesting!

I already make my DH haul rocks, manure and old hay for me. Surely a few rotten logs won't be asking too much! :lol:

I've noticed the bark from our wood pile takes forever to break down in my compost pile. Maybe this would be a better way to use it...

CJW

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is intriguing!

I have a pile of pruned chokecherry branches that I have yet to dispose of...I wonder if I should put them down after I dig down about a foot...hmmmm....

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I started mine this year as well. :)

(Look DM, I logged on FINALLY!! Don't know why, oh well, guess my computer is happy today.)

Latest posts