The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hang on, catching my breath from laughing, that is really an awesome idea in general SeedO.

Wouldn't a lot of folks just love to have stand in temporary replacements? Not just temporary help like the agencies already have, but specialized temp workers! Who really could do the jobs asked, and then, NOT TAKE OVER THE JOB.

For example, Phil Collins the singer, say he wants a couple weeks off, but has a tour to do. Gets a lookalike temp to do the concerts on the tour for him...got to be a soundalike too...

Or, chief propagator controller at a wholesale tree nursery...whooooooooooo, can't let environmental controls slip for even a few hours!

But it is a real good fresh idea SeedO!

Reactions: Hal

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about a video link where you can be available to answer questions LIVE from the expo itself. Imagine the plant knowledge you could gain that would help your business in the future. Do it right and you just might be able to 'sell' the idea to management.
1. still available for questions
2. gaining knowledge helpful to business
3. one-on-one international networking
4. tax deduction for business's educational travel
5. an opportunity to get their company name globally recognized
And there must be more benefits that I haven't considered.
PLUS there is nothing you can lose if you ask. Just put the possibilities before management and give them time to think of more benefits themselves. Eventually you will get a yes or a no. Either way, you will have tried.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:love

There ya go making me blush. I keep telling ya'll the name isn't a description, it's an mnemonic device for my aging brain. It could just as easily been "stupid man" as stpmn was the next randomly generated password on the list.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a very smart idea! It would've been way beyond my power of thinking for me to come up with an idea like that!

(Here's a good smiley to use!)

I'd sure like a temporary replacement!

"Here you do my schoolwork while I hide in the attic and play video games!"

Last edited:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my! Thank you Russ!!!

The box of Bean seeds you sent is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

I've done some preliminary sorting of them, so far in 13 categories.

Holy Cats it is amazing. The African varieties will get highest priority for failure not being optional.

I purchased yesterday 100 feet of 3 foot wide hardware cloth with which I am going to be making anti gopher cages to sink in the beds. The sides will rise 2 feet or so above soil surface and will be of white or clear plastic that they can't climb, so I don't think the top of the anti gopher cages will need covering.

I am absolutely stunned by the beautiful beans you sent!

Outcrosses will also be increased well, with care and spacing for each plant to watch for further segregating plants.

How do you suppose the history of those Corbett Refugee went. That maybe sometime in the past someone simply was mistaken about them, or that there was an outcross long ago?

The Chickasaw will be one of the probably only 3 varieties to grow again this year which I grew last year, along with 1 or 2 segregations of Nova Star, 1 or 2 selectons of Powder Star, and Badda di Pollizi Blanda Dark Eye.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Marshall !

Glad the bean package arrived, and happy that you love them so much. Sweet little babies aren't they? I'm sure they will give you some amazing gardens for years to come.

I don't know what happened to the Corbett Refugee. They seem to be outcrossed to the maximum. Possibly like you said someone may have passed them off as the real thing and on down the line everyone accepted them as CR. I got them from Synergy Seeds in California. The very first time I planted them they threw off several segregations, and I even got a purple poded pole bean with about 4 inch (10 cm ) pods that totally changed it's seed coat this year from a mottled black and tan to solid cream/tan. The Corbett Refugee I selected for seeds that looked as close to Refugee as I could because CR is a selection of Refugee so the seeds should be the same, but the seed descripton does not fit the model that is described in Beans Of New York. I don't think my Refugee that I got from a Canadian grower maybe authentic. Replanted CR this year and get more segregations. This is when I get that little gray and cream bean that looks like a miniature Scarlet Runner patterend seed. I think I would BTW like to name that one "Fantasy" If the bean doesn't stabilize over the next three seasons we can always use the name for something else. Anyway I have on order another sample of "Corbet Refugee" from Seed Dreams, and will see what their version is like. Also I think Hal has got CR from the Australian gene bank. Sooner or later maybe we will turn up an authentic CR.

Just to let you know what the book Beans Of New York is. These horticultural/botanist fellows at the Geneva New York Ag Experiment station grow and study hundreds of bean varieties in the 1920's. The results of which get published in a series of books called "Vegetables Of New York" of which "Beans Of New York" was one of the volumes. Beautifully illustrated in color by some very talented artists who got the drawings of many of the plants and seeds to exactly how they look. This book can be found on the internet and for any bean loving person. The book is a treasure.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Marshall !

Glad the bean package arrived, and happy that you love them so much. Sweet little babies aren't they? I'm sure they will give you some amazing gardens for years to come.

I don't know what happened to the Corbett Refugee. They seem to be outcrossed to the maximum. Possibly like you said someone may have passed them off as the real thing and on down the line everyone accepted them as CR. I got them from Synergy Seeds in California. The very first time I planted them they threw off several segregations, and I even got a purple poded pole bean with about 4 inch (10 cm ) pods that totally changed it's seed coat this year from a mottled black and tan to solid cream/tan. The Corbett Refugee I selected for seeds that looked as close to Refugee as I could because CR is a selection of Refugee so the seeds should be the same, but the seed descripton does not fit the model that is described in Beans Of New York. I don't think my Refugee that I got from a Canadian grower maybe authentic. Replanted CR this year and get more segregations. This is when I get that little gray and cream bean that looks like a miniature Scarlet Runner patterend seed. I think I would BTW like to name that one "Fantasy" If the bean doesn't stabilize over the next three seasons we can always use the name for something else. Anyway I have on order another sample of "Corbet Refugee" from Seed Dreams, and will see what their version is like. Also I think Hal has got CR from the Australian gene bank. Sooner or later maybe we will turn up an authentic CR.

Just to let you know what the book Beans Of New York is. These horticultural/botanist fellows at the Geneva New York Ag Experiment station grow and study hundreds of bean varieties in the 1920's. The results of which get published in a series of books called "Vegetables Of New York" of which "Beans Of New York" was one of the volumes. Beautifully illustrated in color by some very talented artists who got the drawings of many of the plants and seeds to exactly how they look. This book can be found on the internet and for any bean loving person. The book is a treasure.
Well fingers crossed one of us gets the genuine article! The seed I obtained was really old and the germination % was listed as being quite low. I'm going to try and get some fresh seed produced before I send any out plus I'd like to check it with that book you mention when I finally get myself a copy.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hal! Looking at your awesome list of Beans I am overwhelmed! Wow!

I'm going to rest awhile and think about how to fit more varieties in my garden, then I'll put together a package to send to you with a short want list.

I will also put together a package for Joseph Simcox.

Suddenly my collection of beans has gone from middling to amazing but still nothing compared to you guys! I am going to have to get some varieties this year from somewhere I don't know yet that none of you guys have! :) For trading with next year!!!

First I have to stop being so amazed and overwhelmed! :caf :weee :celebrate :ya

:th

Latest posts