The Pond Thread

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spring has arrived. Fish have been moved from the stock tank they over winter in the garage in to the pond. Grandsons got to help :)
moving fish 3-30-19.jpg 2.jpg
moving fish 3-30-19.jpg 6.jpg
moving fish 3-30-19.jpg 4.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
VERY Interesting thread!! @Carol Dee , what is your winter "Stock Tank?" Did you dig and line a hole? Did you bury a livestock tank in the ground? We are a tad warmer than you in the winter, but I imagine that the fish would need to be housed at least 2 ft deep to avoid being frozen.
We have a 50 gallon ( or is it bigger?) rubber/plastic stock tank. It is in the unheated part of the garage with a bubbler to keep it from freezing. No feeding necessary.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
VERY Interesting thread!! @Carol Dee , what is your winter "Stock Tank?" Did you dig and line a hole? Did you bury a livestock tank in the ground? We are a tad warmer than you in the winter, but I imagine that the fish would need to be housed at least 2 ft deep to avoid being frozen.

You need to find your local Frost Line and dig about a foot deeper, at least, most would say.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
2 feet deep can freeze solid here ! They are put in the unheated part of the garage with a bubbler in a livestock tank (50 to 100 gallon) not sure of size. Then the go into a kind of hibernation and do not need to be feed until water warms up and days get longer again.

Latest posts