The Pond Thread

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@cmom Happens here all the time. Only way to keep it from happening is constant watching and removal of debris as it starts to build up. Yes a pain in the hinny!) But one year we where not vigilant and leaves clogged filter/pump and the fish DROWNED!!!! Well about 3/4 of them :( We have tried to place netting or screen over pond only to have it fall in under weight of falling leaves or blow off in wind.
Bottom line a nice pond is a lot of work.
YES

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seen people who put netting and/or tarps over their ponds but is there any other ways?

big sponges that spread the surface area out will give you more time in between having to clean things out, but it adds more work in that you have to clean the sponges... there is a big reason why most fountains are only done with clean/chemically treated water and in areas away from plants.

cmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm envious of all of the pictures of the beautiful ponds. Mine is a simple pond 100/120 gallons that I've had for around 20 years. it's fun.

cmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've had all sorts or plants in it at different times and fish. I usually drain it once a year to give it a good scrub but it is a small pond.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
New shade cloth for the pond!
20180818_140140.jpg

Latest posts