The Pond Thread

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally caught a good photo of one of the new Koi, A yellow butterfly ?
DSC05775.JPG

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to carefully quadruple check that yellow one...not sure if I confused it with another or not....
Either way, there are all of my koi, shouldn't be any missing, just potentially one extra. 😅
Too many? Maybe. Some were homegrown that I had kept back to see how they grew.
Once the new pond is built, I'll take pictures of each & decide if I'll keep any of those babies or not.
I'll be making a final copy later. With butterfly fins represented & gin rin added to the ones that have it. Impossible to show sparkle with colored pencils. I'm thinking clear glitter nail polish...lol.
Seeing the first sheet, I realize that Mr Cheetos isn't colored properly. Fins are darker orange than body, as if he was covered in cheetos dust.
Color name & given name will also be on the final. There's a few w/o names, bought & bred ones.
On the backside, I'll note size & age, too.
They're not firmly in order, though, I did try to keep them together.
I don't have a solid white koi, just a very pale yellow-salmon one. I think that's what that neon yellow(center) in top row was supposed to represent...lol.
I have so many ochiba now, because of DH...lol.

Anyway, how do you like them so far? Recognize any?
20200805_194532.jpg
20200805_194544.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
With the final measurements, total gallons will be 18,080!!!
20200806_191545.jpg

But I realized that the block walls can be right next to the pit, so...
15x25 above ground to 3ft, with a 15x20ft hole in ground to 4ft.
17,391 gallons.
Slightly less, but should be easier to build & dig!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not sure what you are planning but i hope you do more homework on this before making such a big investment. so from what i can tell (maybe i'm not understanding what your plans really are) i'll comment.

cinder blocks for walls above ground? eek! those aren't really well suited for such a task. they don't hold up to forces sideways and they aren't very strong even if you fill the cores with rebar and cement it just isn't all that good. you'd be much better off using forms and cement or just using the liner and building up the walls with whatever dirt you have. yes, it won't be a cement pond/pool, but if the cinder blocks crack and shift then you have sharp edges up against your liner.

if you are doing forms and cement and actually expect this to last a long time you'll want to look into what type of soil you have and what kind of footings, foundation and rebar you will need for the weight involved (it won't be cheap). if you are putting a liner in and not putting down cement i think that is a much less expensive to do.

with digging animals around and having a banked pool you will need some kind of wire around it in the ground to keep the animals from eventually causing havoc. i'm pretty sure this is one of the reasons you don't see this being done very often... people instead just opt for above ground pools or put the entire thing underground (at grade level).

you may actually do ok just going for an aboveground pool bought on clearance towards the end of the season. :) those need prep work too...

just my thoughts here and i hope they help.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not sure what you are planning but i hope you do more homework on this before making such a big investment. so from what i can tell (maybe i'm not understanding what your plans really are) i'll comment.

you may actually do ok just going for an aboveground pool bought on clearance towards the end of the season. :) those need prep work too...

She is making a Koi / Fish pond. So I do not think an above ground swimming pool is likely to work!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score

cinder blocks for walls above ground? eek! those aren't really well suited for such a task. they don't hold up to forces sideways and they aren't very strong even if you fill the cores with rebar and cement it just isn't all that good. you'd be much better off using forms and cement or just using the liner and building up the walls with whatever dirt you have. yes, it won't be a cement pond/pool, but if the cinder blocks crack and shift then you have sharp edges up against your liner.

if you are doing forms and cement and actually expect this to last a long time you'll want to look into what type of soil you have and what kind of footings, foundation and rebar you will need for the weight involved (it won't be cheap). if you are putting a liner in and not putting down cement i think that is a much less expensive to do.

with digging animals around and having a banked pool you will need some kind of wire around it in the ground to keep the animals from eventually causing havoc. i'm pretty sure this is one of the reasons you don't see this being done very often... people instead just opt for above ground pools or put the entire thing underground (at grade level).

Others do it just like that. 3ft to 4ft high, some don't bother with any of that when doing two layers of block. Some use wood boards or railroad ties.
6in poured concrete footing at frost line. Then vertical and horizontal rebar with the cinderblocks, poured concrete in them.
They make 3 sizes; 4x8x16in, 8x8x16in & 12x8x16in.

Getting koi people to help is difficult, they like to say "just look at past projects that were posted". 🙄

Some google pics of koi ponds.
ponddig23.jpg.613fbfa1be5cca7a9f948eaf52c35a0b.jpgsylv2.jpgbp 006.jpgKoi pond window atlantica gardens-min.jpguv3rm52077e385498d.jpegFB_IMG_1596988534162.jpgFB_IMG_1596988516406.jpg
hqdefault.jpgf24ee694fe17316a6d70a2229360dbbd.jpgbb2ccdc0a0d535c7803650f7864cf291.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
as much as i love the look of bricks and brick walls and playing with cement and blocks i'd certainly not do things like those pictures. they just don't last very long IMO, they're not well suited for that sort of thing. you can put an inside liner and go above grade a little bit and then put bricks outside as decorative layer, but it should not be considered a permanent or structural force holding wall because the water will expand and contract with freeze/thaw cycle and that always plays havoc with pond edges.

Latest posts