The resilience of chickens

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am the worst chicken owner on the planet. We have been taking our potted daylilies to farmer's markets since the beginning of July. Today we were loaded and gone by 7 am. We load the truck and take care of animals, and get ourselves ready before we leave. Today I left 2 of 3 chicken houses closed all day until I discovered it at dark. I opened one coup, put out food and water and in the frenzy of getting ready forgot to open the other 2 houses. It was 82 degrees and very humid. I WAS STANDING RIGHT NEAR THEM AS I TOOK CARE OF THE FOOD AND WATER.This has been my fear in rushing out in the mornings.I was sure there were going to be many dead chickens, The youngest birds are not fully grown but are a good size and only have a small area of air circulation. NOT ONE DEAD.I opened the houses and used a flash light to get the young birds out to get a drink. The older hens were too tired to bother. I put water in their house so they can take a drink at first light. I feel so lucky and so terrible.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We all make mistakes, Cat'.

Sometimes, we suffer as a result. Sometimes, there is suffering by others.

That it upsets you to have made a mistake shows something positive about your personality. You try to do the right and responsible thing.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
About a month back when I went to the chicken coop to let them out in the morning I opened the people door to the run and they all rushed out while I was taking care of feed and water. I feed and water in the coop and outside both. But I forgot to open the pop door. I did not go back down there until a couple of hours before sunset to gather eggs. No eggs! They had been locked out of the coop all day. When I let them in there was a mad rush to the nests. I hate to think how long they had been pacing next to that pop door with their legs crossed, holding that egg in.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am the worst chicken owner on the planet. We have been taking our potted daylilies to farmer's markets since the beginning of July. Today we were loaded and gone by 7 am. We load the truck and take care of animals, and get ourselves ready before we leave. Today I left 2 of 3 chicken houses closed all day until I discovered it at dark. I opened one coup, put out food and water and in the frenzy of getting ready forgot to open the other 2 houses. It was 82 degrees and very humid. I WAS STANDING RIGHT NEAR THEM AS I TOOK CARE OF THE FOOD AND WATER.This has been my fear in rushing out in the mornings.I was sure there were going to be many dead chickens, The youngest birds are not fully grown but are a good size and only have a small area of air circulation. NOT ONE DEAD.I opened the houses and used a flash light to get the young birds out to get a drink. The older hens were too tired to bother. I put water in their house so they can take a drink at first light. I feel so lucky and so terrible.
You are making me laugh,, "82 degrees and very humid," which WE have ALSO had, but we had 95 degrees and very humid two weeks ago and it was so stiffling that I could only care for my animals and do nothing else outside.
Ironically this weekend has highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's.
Birds can be tough. I do NOT put ice their water bowl. It sits out in the sun bc it would be even dirtier in the shade since they like to walk though it every day.
Btw, when it was colder and super wet a few months ago I put their feed in their coop.
It takes MANY days of neglect to kill off your livestock, and chicken are notorious for sticking their heads through fencing (and getting them eaten off) OR the occasional bird that starts getting sick and is dead two days later, even though the rest of the flock is fine.
Animal abuse/neglect is habitual and that why it can be prosecuted.
It was harder on my horses when my help while I was on vacation decided not the feed them at all the day before I came back. This is the same woman who comes sniffing around for free legal help, which is the only time we ever see her.
:hugs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, you have had 48 hours to be justifiably proud of the South Coast Today article on your farm, Cat' tools.gif.

Here's an Oscar Wilde quote:

"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future."

Huh? tweetyshrug_b.gif Steve ;)

Latest posts