The root of all evil.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You could try ducks. We had a high population of ducks in our poultry-yard for a while and it turned the area into wasteland. The soil line in the poultry yard was a good 6 inches below the rest of the yard too.

Ridgerunner said:
Fence it off and raise pigs in there. Make sure the population density is pretty high so it's all turned to a wasteland for the entire season. But that only helps the area you fence off temporarily. It'll spread and re-seed from outside.

I don't have that stuff for which I'm grateful. My battle is mainly with Bermuda grass.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ha! Seed obsessor and I must have posted at the same time!Only I am slower...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
...why do they call it 'quackgrass'? Do ducks eat it?

That's a good question... :D Maybe because I'll have to go see one because it has driven me crazy. :barnie I'm always pondering its next move and how I'm going to somehow kill it. I piled about 10" of bark mulch around my blueberries last spring and it took no time at all to come up everywhere in it. That patch had landscape fabric under the mulch too. It just comes right up through it or over top of it. :he

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought a load of 'top soil' from a landscaper that was going out of business. It was horrible, the whole load was full of quack grass. I'm still dealing with the stuff.

What has been the most effective for me is pretty labor intensive. In the Spring, DH gets the shovel and I get a screen and we dig an entire garden bed up and screen it for quack grass. You'd be amazed how far some of the underground roots can travel. They can grow right through a bulb, under stone walkways, anywhere.

If a plant's roots are just full of the stuff, I divide the plant's roots so that I can separate the quack grass out. Like I said, it's pretty labor intensive, but I am making progress.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My battle is with reed canary grass, swampland invasive, grows to 3 feet tall in less than a month! Sometimes I think I am an idiot for even trying to grow things on that side of the yard. :rolleyes:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to rake back all the mulch and pull up the landscaping cloth from around my blueberries this spring. The quack grass is all throughout. It's very loose soil, so hopefully I can pull the roots out by hand. Boy, you have to get every little bit though or it will come right back. And I need to establish a perimeter. I'm sure I'll never be completely free of it. Next home we look to buy, I'm checking for it first!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! Journey, I can just picture you taking inventory of every weed on the property! Who cares if it has a finished basement? What I want to know, is how much quack grass is there!

Latest posts