The start of my new fruit orchard!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow! Congratulations on getting some land to plant all those wonderful trees.
I ordered most of mine from Trees of Antiquity and I can't say enough about them, all the trees are doing wonderfully.
I also used my trees as landscape accents. I put 20 fruit trees all around the yard, taking into consideration their size and the color of their blossoms.
I did plant a row of apple trees down the length of the property line though to give us and the neighbors some privacy.
I am debating on whether to prune them into a living fence type of espelier or just let them go as they are.
I wish I had done this years ago.

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
year by year I've been adding some fruit trees. I think next year I am going to go all out. I will probably order from here since I live in the frigid part of NY
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/
Though I'm REALLY thinking about getting a couple fig trees and planting them in a sheltered area.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't imagine having that many fruit trees. :ep I only have one semi-dwarf apple tree because my yard is so tiny. I do have room for one more tree if I pull this big newzeland flax.

I can just imagine what my husband will say when I ask him to pull it out. But I will. :D

Mary

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Update, we're finally getting my fruit trees in the ground :weee So far we have planted 20 trees, but I still have more to go :D

It's hard to see because the trees are dormant, but here are some pictures:) We planted most of them in "groves" or high-density planting: lots of trees in a small area. So, we could have successive ripening: one variety after another.

5 peaches. Snow Beauty, Red Haven, Fay Elberta, Indian Free, and O'henry.

6630_plants_048.jpg

3 nectarines. Double Delight, Arctic Rose, Liz's Late
6630_plants_049.jpg

3 pluots. Flavor King, Flavor Finale, Dapple Dandy
6630_plants_045.jpg

2 plums with a crepe myrtle inbetween. Santa Rosa and Emerald Beaut
6630_plants_044.jpg

5 apples. Arkansas Black, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, Grannysmith, Liberty
6630_plants_046.jpg

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you heard of Backyard Orchard Culture? If not, Google it.. It's a great way to pack a LOT of trees into a small space.. I've only used the process for one planter -- in our front yard.. In a 6 foot round planter, I've got 3 citrus trees growing together in a 4 foot circle -- two lemons and a lime. With your large yard you could probably have craploads of trees if you wanted and still have plenty of space.

Here are a few links to whet your curiousity:

http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/gardencompass/gc01_mar_apr_01.html

http://www.baylaurelnursery.com/catalog/backyardOrchardCulture.html

By the way.. If you're looking for trees in California, Bay Laurel Nursery (link above) has a great selection of bare-root trees that they can mail out.. They usually start mailing in Jan/Feb but put out a catalog in the fall..

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, northernrose-how great is that??!! In a few years, you are going to be one happy camper! Can't wait to see pics when they start budding. You are so fortunate to be planting now- all I'm planting is my snow shovel in the snowbank!

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
Wow, northernrose-how great is that??!! In a few years, you are going to be one happy camper! Can't wait to see pics when they start budding. You are so fortunate to be planting now- all I'm planting is my snow shovel in the snowbank!
Amen to that. More snow comin' I am rebelling by planting seeds in the basement!

NorthernRose- That is the prettiest site I have seen in some time. Cograts and best of luck!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... you have a good amount of land to do that! you are going to have some gorgeous trees!!!

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
RickF said:
Have you heard of Backyard Orchard Culture? If not, Google it.. It's a great way to pack a LOT of trees into a small space.. I've only used the process for one planter -- in our front yard.. In a 6 foot round planter, I've got 3 citrus trees growing together in a 4 foot circle -- two lemons and a lime. With your large yard you could probably have craploads of trees if you wanted and still have plenty of space.

Here are a few links to whet your curiousity:

http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/gardencompass/gc01_mar_apr_01.html

http://www.baylaurelnursery.com/catalog/backyardOrchardCulture.html

By the way.. If you're looking for trees in California, Bay Laurel Nursery (link above) has a great selection of bare-root trees that they can mail out.. They usually start mailing in Jan/Feb but put out a catalog in the fall..
LOL, I got most of my ideas and fruit trees from Dave Wilson and their Backyard Orchard Culture. That's why my many of the trees are planted in groups 6-8 feet apart vs 18-20 feet in a straight row. But, I will have some individual trees that will be "full sized" I also plan on grafting to some of the fruit trees more varieties for fun. Just a branch or two :) I'll have so much fruit I won't know what to do with it:) We have nearly 8 acres, but most is hilly with oaks. There is a large flat area on top of the hill where the house sits. I really want to eventually rake up most of the gravel the previous owners spread around, but that's going to take years :(

I now have all of these, and my husband thinks I've gone of the deep end. :rolleyes:
Apples:
Arkansas Black Spur
Honeycrisp
Niedzwetzkyana
Liberty
Sierra Beauty
Hudsons Golden Gem
Pink Lady
Granny Smith

Pluots:
Flavor King
Splash
Flavor Finale
Dapple Dandy

Plums:
Emerald Beauty
Santa Rosa
Methley

Apricots:
Tomcot
Royal Rosa

Cherries:
Utah Giant
Bing
Rainer
Sweetheart

Peaches:
Fay Elberta
Redhaven
Indian Free
Snow Beauty
OHenry

Nectarine:
Double Delight
Arctic Rose
Lizs Late

Pomegranates:
Utah Sweet
Wonderful

Berries:
Black Satin blackberry
Ollalie berries (5 plants)
Fall Gold raspberry (3 plants)

Blueberries: in large pots or wine barrels (some I have more than one plant)
Misty
Southmoon
Reveille
Emerald
Sunshine Blue
Sharpblue
Top Hat
Duke
Legacy
Bluecrop

Grapes:
Blueberry seedless
Eastern Seedless Concord

Citrus:
Cara Cara- pink navel orange
Meyer lemon
Satsuma mandarin

Others:
Fuyu Persimmon
4 pineapple guava trees/bushes
Strawberry plants

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hiker125 said:
lesa said:
Amen to that. More snow comin' I am rebelling by planting seeds in the basement!

NorthernRose- That is the prettiest site I have seen in some time. Cograts and best of luck!
Thanks, we spent so long looking for a house to buy and we even looked at this place when it was just bare land for sale. About 5 years ago, I remember driving up the long driveway to the top of the hill and the seeing the foundation of this house just getting poured, but we couldn't afford it then. It's funny that year's later we ended up buying it. I love the privacy and the view. But, we are about 6 miles to the highway and another 6 to good shopping.

Trisha

Latest posts