The Upside To Drought

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
...is once you get the weeds pulled, they STAY pulled!
OK, maybe I'm trying too hard to keep a positive outlook. Temps are over 100 and no rain is in the forseeable future, gotta find something to be happy about. :happy_flower

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Also not many mosquitos.

Also no mud!!

Also if you have leaky gutters on your house, lack of rain lets you fall into a blissful state of forgetfulness and not-worrying-about-it.

:p

We're not near as dry as you are but last night had the first half-inch of rain we've gotten for probably several weeks and we really did need it. Not enough for mud, but enough to pop my "maybe the gutters really are ok" bubble, and undoubtedly will increase the mosquito population since pretty much just spitting on the ground seems to do it.

Best of luck to you, hope this weather pattern changes soon,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:hugs

I'm so sorry... we're in a similar issue... except we have the humidity rolling through making it impossible for us to breath! :barnie

I'm still stuck weeding however! :tools

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
Yeah, the grass still finds a way in...except in my actual lawn, where it's supposed to be.

And I'm still getting bit up when I'm out weeding!!! :rant

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm getting chewed up, too. We have a mud puddle, umm, pardon me, lake about 1/2 mile from the house and I guess that's where they're coming from.
Really do not want to see my water bill this month. I'm just trying to keep the existing trees and bushes alive. My horses aren't happy...they don't like living in a convection oven with no pasture.
If I could find a rattlesnake, I think I'd do a rain dance. Suppose it would work with a rubber snake?

renovationmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
desertcat said:
...is once you get the weeds pulled, they STAY pulled!
OK, maybe I'm trying too hard to keep a positive outlook. Temps are over 100 and no rain is in the forseeable fut
ure, gotta find something to be happy about. :happy_flower
No grass to mow!

Been dry here too :coolsun We need to all wash our cars and leave the windows down so we can get some rain.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
vfem said:
Yeah, the grass still finds a way in...except in my actual lawn, where it's supposed to be.

And I'm still getting bit up when I'm out weeding!!! :rant
yeah why is it the lawns turn brown but the weeds in the gardens are green????

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I HATE SUMMER !!!! It is just too hot here for my garden!!
hot-sun-192.gif

I get up every morning to give all my plants a drink. I have to not look at them during the afternoon, just about all of them are "unhappy" until the sun is going down.

As I water, I am thinking, I hope they hang on untl the Monsoons come.

thundercloud.gif

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can we talk about the Monsoons? It is something of a foreign idea to me - rain in summer.

And about those weeds -- what is the toughest weed to kill in the hot sun? In my garden, it has to be purslane.

I once set a purslane plant upside down on a concrete block in the garden. Of course, the garden has sprinklers and water fell on the purlane but the block was in full sun during the heat of summer.

Three weeks later!! The weed had not only righted itself but it was flowering
shocked.gif
!

digitS'

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My lawn doesn't brown off all that much in drought, compared to most other peoples' around here -- because it has a very large component of birdsfoot trefoil, bugle, dandelion, wild lettuce, hawkweed, etc that stay green MUCH better than grass does ;)

Pat

Latest posts