The World is Changing

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one without a cell phone!

I do like technology, -I'm on this IPad quite a bit. The only time I'd like a cell phone is when I travel, which doesn't happen much with work and chickens. I think the only time I'd use one now, is when I'm standing in the grocery store without my list, wondering what I needed. But the cost is so much for that luxury. It would be cheaper just to drive back to town for the items I forgot.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only have a small no frills cell phone. I basically carry it for emergencies only. People ask for a phone number I give them my land line #. If I do not answer leave a message. My poor DH has a job that he is required to have his work phone with him 24/7. He was even instructed to take it with him on VACATION ! :( I am tempted to accidently knock it into the river!
I still write LONG letters to out of town relatives, hand make cards and send them out for birthdays and special occasions. No e-cards. Communication seems to be a lost art.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee your kids are right about you having a cell. Its not for you solve their problems but in case something happen to you or your mom. I gave my parents a cell it was added to my account they kept it locked in glovebox, it was only in case car broke down. Several years later when my mom was very sick and needed a walker she fell in bathroom and couldn't get up till my father found her. He was home the whole time but outside working in yard. I again added another phone this one much smaller I programmed my sisters, me, police and ER then added a light rope I told her she could get out of bed without put phone around her neck. She never used it, but I felt better know help was 1 button away.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am fairly new to smart phones, altho I've had a regular dumb cell for years. I am not particularly enamored with this hi-tech thing, especially that it tries to track my every move. I don't understand why a game app needs to be able to track me.
I have turned off all automatic notices and alarms, except the actual call feature and text feature. Since I still can't do much with a picture after I take it, even the super fantastic camera does not entirely redeem the whole aggravation factor.
Progress! Bah, Humbug!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a little kid, I thought that I had comprehended the entire idea of a "pin" as something sharp. The spring pinched.

Odd fit that complaints about communication are being expressed using devices and through a network that would have been unthinkable when I was a young person.

Everything I know that is worth knowing, I learned in kindergarten ... oh wait, I didn't have the opportunity to go to kindergarten. Shoot.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, that explains my problem. I didn't go to kindergarten.:oops:

You didn't miss anything IMO. This is what I remembered learning.... picking my feet up higher when exiting the sandbox was important if I didn't want a permanent dent in my shin, ow! ...The teacher was never going to pick me to carry the magic wand around and gently "wake" the nappers. Really, what kid actually falls asleep on a towel laid on a hard floor anyway?....I was already reading before I attended, so don't remember anything academic....and it was a big mistake to wait for my best friend to get out of the afternoon kindergarten session after I was released from the morning group. Apparently my mom thought I should always come straight home.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20150608_071451313_HDR_zpspueca46_edit_1433773318741_zpsobyha1hh.jpg

Maybe I should sharpen this ..?

NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise_zps2li0aotq.jpg

If I hold it out in front of me when I am sitting in my sandbox at night, it reminds me a little of this.

:) Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kindergarten. I learned to hate milk (it was always warm) and graham crackers. Even to this day I can't get milk down and I can buy graham crackers for snacks, because I know I'll not be snacking on them. I learned that -- even in kindergarten -- some people get more advantages than others. I may have been better behaved, but I was allowed more leeway in behaviors than other students were. I learned cooperation. . . the teacher pinned notes on naughty students' backs before sending us home. I could remove Jeff's notes and he could remove mine.

I also learned the kindergarten love doesn't always work out. After Kindergarten Jeff moved away. I loved him for years after he left until he returned for a visit. Dear Jeff had stopped growing about 8 inches before I did. Crushed !

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I till use a flip phone. Calls in, calls out and a phone book. That will do it for me. And, the only reason I have it? It was cheaper than my regular house phone, so I got rid of it.