Think you might need a cup of recession-proof coffee?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I read to mix the nettle tea in with mint tea. That is my plan. I have no idea what I will think of the taste yet . . . . I think experimenting keeps life interesting. ;)

For me, I will eat or drink something if it makes me feel better after eating or drinking it. So for me, the upfront taste isn't the entire goal. This is a different mind set from wanting to enjoy something just for the flavor, which I am also prone to.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
As a child, my brother and I were made to pick dandelions around the neighborhood so mom and dad could make WINE!
I remember it being dark and strong-yuck! But then again kids usually don't like they're first taste of that type of thing-so it might just be good, but it takes a butt load of flowers!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
To give you an idea of how my tastes run - my favorite commercial herb tea is Stash Licorice Spice :).

I also enjoy Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime. Not because it makes me sleepy but the chamomile and spearmint make a nice combination. Of course, it doesn't keep me awake having it at night and that's a plus. I'm not too much oriented to the mint/mints. Tho' there's quite a few of them in my yard. I'm just as happy to see the catnip show up.

If licorice was not a bush, I'd probably grow it in my garden. I hate the idea of ripping it out of the ground every year to use the roots . . . :/

I tried fennel a couple of seasons but certainly don't care for the leaves. Last year, I saved it for seed . . . and it never made it that far. It didn't quite completely bloom. Oh well, I guess I could buy some seeds and see if it would be worth the bother.
There are other licorice-flavored herbs . . . Basil is a possibility but the varieties I grow I haven't liked as a tea :hu

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great post Steve! I'll have to go find some to dig up, cause I don't want to dig up mine! I'm picking the flowers off mine every morning, pulling the petals, and spreading them on wax paper to dry. When I get enough, I'll make jelly.

Or I could just get a bucket and go to that big field behind the hospital and pull all I want, probable dig some roots too! The reading I have done on dandelions say that the root is best gathered in the fall after the blooms have quit. That's when the medicinal qualities are the highest in the roots. Have a non-caffiene cup of dandelion coffee and kill cancer cells!

Thanks for the pics, love roasting the roots in the iron skillet! I make roux for gumbo by stirring flour and bacon grease in an iron skillet until it is chocolaty brown. I bet roasting dandelion root smells better! I can't wait to try it!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My best use of dandelion is as rabbit food. I never pull it, just cut the tops for greens. My rabbits go nuts when they see it coming.

Latest posts