This is Luke

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the end of the chapter. Luke did indeed develop lameness in his front feet as I feared. The coffin bones rotated and he was in pain and having difficulty getting comfortable. Because of the pain in his front hooves he lay down frequently, and having arthritis developing in his hocks he sometimes had difficulty getting back up. So on June 26 I had the vet out to euthanize him. I would not put him through winter like that, even if his pain could be lessened with medication.
I'm happy to have found him, we were a good thing for each other. I know his last 4 years were good ones for him.

Rest easy Luke. You were a source of contentment and happiness.
1600309529027.jpeg

1600309219770.jpeg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the end of the chapter. Luke did indeed develop lameness in his front feet as I feared. The coffin bones rotated and he was in pain and having difficulty getting comfortable. Because of the pain in his front hooves he lay down frequently, and having arthritis developing in his hocks he sometimes had difficulty getting back up. So on June 26 I had the vet out to euthanize him. I would not put him through winter like that, even if his pain could be lessened with medication.
I'm happy to have found him, we were a good thing for each other. I know his last 4 years were good ones for him.

View attachment 37032

View attachment 37031
Dear Thistlebloom. It is so hard to part with such a wonderful & loved horse. I am happy for the good years and wonderful memories you made with Luke. Big hugs coming your way, Carol Dee

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know that you have struggled with this. It was a hard decision to make and he left a broken heart behind. Because of the love you had and still have for him, you did what was best for him. Yes, you gave him a good home, love, and care for the last 4 years of his life. What he gave you in return is immeasurable.
Run free Luke.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

View attachment 37032

View attachment 37031
Oh Thistle. So very sorry for your loss. Not letting your boy suffer is a very noble thing for you to do. I have friends who have let old horses go on and on with their aging difficulties. A vet once told me that horses suffer in silence. So telling their needs can be difficult. You gave him a great life .