This ought to be a good one.....who is from BYC??

Farmerboy

Sprout
Reaction score
Me. :D I am Farmerboy16 over there. I signed up here when BYC was down. I like this place already. :)

mommahen

Sprout
Reaction score
Love BYC:tools Now I have 25 beauties and love every minute I spend with them! Gardening with animal (and all the rest) is just up my alley.:love Can't wait to start planting:watering:tools

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started with BYC, too. Been out of the loop here for over a year, but I'm back now. :p

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I like that saying, "country folk will survive." I'm from BYC but haven't been on here in a while since I haven't been getting notifications. I'm in the desert but my garden is stupendous this year. I just brought in a tomato, a summer squash and a zucchini. We'll have them for dinner. Last fall we tilled in 15 bags of Amend and before the end of frost we tilled in some 3 year old goat manure and straw that we had given to us. My garden looks better than other years even though we're having triple digita already. I have a 20x40 veggie garden, four raised beds, and four tubs. The tubs have tomatoes, green peppers, egg plant and cucumbers in them and the raised beds have more tomatoes, carrots, beets, radishes and green beans. Oh! I have a raised bed with cabbage and arugula in it and we're getting heads off the cabbages already and we've been eating arugula since April. The big garden has potatoes, squash, zucchini, butternut squash, pumpkin, watermelon, okra, black berries, raspberries and blue berries.

I have flowers also, roses (20), bearded iris (80) all colors, hollyhocks, crinum lillies, CA poppies just to name a few. My butterfly bushes are 5 feet tall already and so are the hoolyhocks. My peonies (hubby said they wouldn't grow in the desert) did very well this year with about a dozen blooms. I have a lot of native plants also and my cactus always bloom pretty. Going through our property is an old stagecoach trail and I am growing cacti and native plants along the trail and old artifacts like horseshoes, bits, etc. The property had nothing but native growth on it when we moved here 6 years ago but we planted trees right away after putting in a drip irrigation system to water them. There are about 65 trees now with some of the eucalyptus 20 feet tall. I have a mesquite about 15 feet tall that I planted as a seedling five years ago. It helps shade my chicken pens.

Of those, I have 10 full size girls, Wyandotte's, Wellsummers, Americauna, Silkie/Maran and two turken or naked necks. My bany pen has two Old English game hens and one 6 year old Polish my neighbor gave me when she lost all of her other chickens but her. Tilly has started laying again, about 3 or 4 eggs a week so not shabby for an old girl.

What kind of gardens/chickens do the rest of you have? Also, where are you? I'm in the high desert and just west of me is the Sierra Nevada mountains and east of me is Death Valley. I have a lovely view of the mountains from my front porch where I sit when it's not too hot. I hope everyone will tell what they have in their gardens.

Latest posts