This ought to be a good one.....who is from BYC??

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm taking a peek to see who is on. Now that it is cooling off in the desert I am taking more of an interest in my garden. I'll have a lot of clean up to do as I've had five full size dogs here for the past couple of months as my daughter and her husband and two boys are staying here while they wait for a house to clear escrow. They've had four fall out of escrow for one thing or another and we're waiting to see if the 5th goes through. They're not bad dogs, just not used to flower beds. My vegetables are fenced in to keep out the rabbits. I lost a rose bush but not because of the dogs so will replace it during bare root season. I had a friend give me a white lilac a few weeks ago. It's in a huge patio pot but I may plant it in the ground, just not sure yet.

I had wonderful tomatoes this year. I put shade over my raised beds and it sure helped. I planted Soar Fire and Heat Wave, both supposed to tolerate the heat and they performed well for me. I still have a couple of watermelons in the garden but the butternut squash is finished as well as the summer squash and zucchini. I did well with beets and okra also but my beans didn't do a thing. They were pretty and green and had lots of flowers but they didn't produce a bean.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Desertwillow, I am pretty much going through the same with you ! My garden is still growing, but it grew better than it did in the spring. I am hoping my tomatoes will last till January ! Right now I got to figure out how to get rid of grub worms, they are really bad this year ! I usually let my chickens do the work, but I need to finish my garden first !

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a few more tomatoes to ripen but some will have to be fried or pickled as we usually get frost by the end of this month. I'm at 2541 feet so we don't get much snow but we do get some pretty cold temps in the winter and add the wind to that and it can be rough. We get a lot of wind and it does more damage than the cold I think. I just had a friend bring by some tall bearded and medium bearded irs from their garden as they're moving and wanted to give them to someone that would care for them. I also got a big clump of day lilies. I love bearded iris so they can be added to the 80 or so I have now in their own garden and I also love to grow roses. I cut back the hollyhocks a few weeks ago and they're already putting out green leaves and are about 2 feet tall. My crinum lilies are doing well. I bought a new one this year that is supposed to be a deep pink but it hasn't bloomed yet.

Welcome to all of you that are new. We can get some good gardening advice from here

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am 3goodeggs on BYC.
I am trying to get more involved in this and the self sufficent forum.
I have a commercial greenhouse business producing hibiscus liners, so when I am busy I am really busy. Everything needs to happen at once.
But, This is my learning socialization time. I need it. And also on BYC I have friends that I just flat out enjoy. so I find time.

I think I need to spend more time here, I love to garden, but the weather has become so unpredictable around here, it is making gardening a nightmare the last 7-8 years. I think we are going back to the weather cycle of my youth, so I know how to garden in it. but the change is hard.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OOPS! this is an old thread. sorry. I was perusing the 'popular' column.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
WELCOME Greengenes (3goodeggs)!
sSig_welcome3.gif

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's an oldie but a goodie. :) Thanks for stopping by! I am still learning about gardening and can't wait to hear what you have to share!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me, too! I found TEG on BYC. Now I seldom go to BYC and LUV TEG. I guess learning to raise chickens has a faster learning curve than raising a garden. And the folks here are so much more fun.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't realize what the original question of the thread was, whoops! I also found TEG from BYC. My husband lives on that forum, but I'm not all that interested. If I have a problem with the chickens I usually ask him to make a post for me and let him tell me the answer. He showed me TEG when he realized that I wasn't giving up on gardening no matter how many times I failed. I am now glued to TEG waiting for someone to make a new thread! :D

Latest posts