This Year's Tomato Seedlings

Titan Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here is a look at some of this year's tomatoes. Seeds were planted the 3rd of April.
The medium used is a mix I been working on for the last couple of years and I think it is working out purity well.
The medium consists of: Peat, Cocoa Coir, Fine Pumice, Small Lava Stone, Pare Boiled Rice Hulls, Bio-Chair, Worm Castings, Bioactive Compost, Mycorrhiza, Yucca and Organic 5-5-5.
The light I'm using is a King LED Plus (600w) and the fertilizer used is Advanced Nutrition's True Organics Iguana Juice (grow) and their Organic Ancient Earth. I will be starting to add Advanced Nutrition's Organic Sensizym along with their Voodoo Juice, Piranha and Tarantula for root growth.

20220429_180314.jpg

Chris

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Let me begin by mentioning; “ there’s no condemnation” coming from this end BUT your description is somewhat amusing to me as it would be equally at home on a weed growers forum!😊

I too; have played with any number of “concoctions”, recipe's etc over the years and now use a much simpler approach. Gone are the days of mixing super soils and complicated nute schedules. It took me a bit of grappling but at some point i realized “I wasn’t entirely certain just what was working and what wasn’t” due to the numerous variables.

Today’s version = Roots organic 707 potting mix and for nutrients i put 1 cup of Espoma tomato tone in a 5 gallon bucket of rabbit urine. Once a week i draw off a Qt. And add it to a 2.5 gallon water can, and water all the Greenhouse stuff liberally. The remainder of the time everything’s watered by a timed drip system.

P.S i use a number of differing lights; depending on the crop and the time of it’s season. For those items liking a LED, they are fed by a pair of Lush Lighting Dominator II fixtures😳

Titan Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Let me begin by mentioning; “ there’s no condemnation” coming from this end BUT your description is somewhat amusing to me as it would be equally at home on a weed growers forum!😊

I too; have played with any number of “concoctions”, recipe's etc over the years and now use a much simpler approach. Gone are the days of mixing super soils and complicated nute schedules. It took me a bit of grappling but at some point i realized “I wasn’t entirely certain just what was working and what wasn’t” due to the numerous variables.

Today’s version = Roots organic 707 potting mix and for nutrients i put 1 cup of Espoma tomato tone in a 5 gallon bucket of rabbit urine. Once a week i draw off a Qt. And add it to a 2.5 gallon water can, and water all the Greenhouse stuff liberally. The remainder of the time everything’s watered by a timed drip system.

P.S i use a number of differing lights; depending on the crop and the time of it’s season. For those items liking a LED, they are fed by a pair of Lush Lighting Dominator II fixtures😳
I've used some of the information out there in the weed world and applied it to vegetable growing.
I have used Roots Organics 707 in the past it's not bad, I also used Big Rootz and it good to but the problem is that I have to ship both product and shipping costs more than the soil so that means I mix my own.
Anouther reason for me mixing my own is that I know what is going into the soil and also I can chang it to my needs.
As for the nutes, I like there Organic line and what is in it and so far its working well.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That’s a nice group of starts and i hope they do well for you! Up here tomato’s need a greenhouse to be reliable performers so i put a bed across the end of ours and only keep two plants each year; one new to us variety and our old standby a Celebrity. A couple years ago the experiment tomato plant was sacrificed to make room for this Celebrity.
when it hit the ceiling at 14 feet, it turned out toward the front and grew another 8ft. The greenhouse is 14 feet wide as well and you can see how completely it filled that space. This picture was taken 7 months after the seed went in the ground, upstairs in our little propagation area.

Attachments

• D10D8AE3-9029-4FE8-BB6A-60D93064CA8D.jpeg
    D10D8AE3-9029-4FE8-BB6A-60D93064CA8D.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 102

Titan Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That’s a nice group of starts and i hope they do well for you! Up here tomato’s need a greenhouse to be reliable performers so i put a bed across the end of ours and only keep two plants each year; one new to us variety and our old standby a Celebrity. A couple years ago the experiment tomato plant was sacrificed to make room for this Celebrity.
when it hit the ceiling at 14 feet, it turned out toward the front and grew another 8ft. The greenhouse is 14 feet wide as well and you can see how completely it filled that space. This picture was taken 7 months after the seed went in the ground, upstairs in our little propagation area.
Nice tomato, what tomato variety was it?

Titan Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
  • Ain't celebrity's determinate?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are considered “vigorous determinate. They produce earlier and later than any strain we’ve grown. There’s always a Celebrity in the greenhouse.

Titan Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Right, Rutgers University calls them Semi-Determinate.

Tomato Type: Garden

Breed: Hybrid

Origin: USA

Season: Mid

Leaf Type: Normal

Plant Type: Semi-Determinate

Plant Height: 5 ft.

Fruit Size: 10 oz.

Fruit Shape: Flattened Globe

Skin Color: Red

Flesh Color: Red

Usage: Fresh

Availability: Commercial

Disease Resistance: Verticillium Wilt, Fusarium Wilt Race 1, Fusarium Wilt Race 2, Nematodes, Alternaria Stem Canker, Tobbacco Mosaic Virus

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep; that’s my girl and in Alaska with near 24 hour daylight thru much of the growing season that 5ft height is almost comical. All other attributes
seem spot on.

oh, yea; i bet we feed ours better than a lot of folks😳 we got this from one plant once a week.

Attachments

• FCAD2397-F3B9-4008-B0BF-93BF55024145.jpeg
    FCAD2397-F3B9-4008-B0BF-93BF55024145.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Latest posts