Those Days

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Waxing nostalgic here ...

Buddy Holly.JPG

It was several years after his death on 3 February 1959; I don't know that i made a conscious effort to look like Buddy Holly.

My high school graduation picture is the "ringer" but @flowerbug is right about posting too much online. This, on the other hand, fits on TEG. As an adult, my first garden:

First Garden 001-001.jpg

Were there important dates (years) in your life that kinda sneak up on you, make you nostalgic, maybe a little sad?

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Summers of '74 and '75... long, golden summers filled with LIFE at full throttle and I was just a little girl, but I got to see it all, hear it all, taste it all. There was even a huge, flaming meteor that went right over our house that summer of '75 and I got to see that too.

The best music, the most crisp, sparkling soda pop, the best ball games involving all the kids in the neighborhood, the best fishing, the greatest cars....sigh...they were my halcyon summers. Those summers stand out in my mind like no others before nor since as being the most of everything good a little kid could want to experience.

I wish my kids could have experienced it with me...I think then they'd have a clue as to what they missed as the telling of it doesn't do it justice.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Summer 74'..I was 12. Life was still simpler back then. Waiting in anticipation of adulthood, as I had NO neighborhood playmates. In the big city.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
neighborhood playmates. In the big city.
The definition of a city is a lot of residents.

the best fishing
Doesn't West Virginia still have good fishing?

I know that things change. And, they aren't always quite the way you want them to be at the time. I owned a home in town and sold it in 1975. I cannot figure out which house it was on the block, when I drive by now!

It's embarrassing to admit that but I didn't live there very long. The only reason I have to drive down that street is to look at my old neighborhood. I lived nearby for about a year but have been gone for ... what's that? ... 40 years? There was lots done on houses, the one I had and my neighbors. Perhaps importantly, from that street - it's all "built environment," very level land. One cannot see a hill on the horizon. A lake and river is only a couple blocks away but that's downhill, of course. A cemetery is one block over and, I guess, one could orient oneself to the trees in the cemetery ... didn't do it :).

Perhaps it's strange that I can find my childhood homes where I grew up and went to school. They require more than a short drive, too. The horizons orient me, if nothing else :).

The other day, I spent some time on Google Streetview and found our home from which my family moved when I was 4 years old! I couldn't be entirely sure but I had an address. That was my grandmother's farm. I can't remember the address of that house in town in 1975. Ha!

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The definition of a city is a lot of residents.

In the city, our street was mostly elderly home owners. And the majority of them, only had their grandkids visiting on occasional weekends. The other children that attended my neighborhood school, lived all over the school district neighborhood. I was not allowed to go to those neighborhoods after school or weekends.
Hence, I spent a lonely childhood.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugs

Maybe, you should have been allowed to adopt a few extra grandparents.

I was about a mile from the nearest kid my age ... and he went to a different elementary school!

When a girl my age moved in with her family nearby, I married her! ... that was something of a mistake ...

Steve ;)

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have always been around elderly and am quite comfortable with them. My mother also took care of many of the little old rich ladies in our community. My grandmother, was a live in for 2 families, taking care of the aged parents.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not an emotional person but I am really nostalgic. I mostly feel connections thru physical things, like a bottle. I was fortunate enough to work with my dad for many years when I was a young man. One day we were working on replacing a small town water system south of here about 65 miles. Besides the new water tank and mainline piping we also installed new piping to the meters at every house and business in town. This day I worked with my dad he was digging I was installing the pipes to businesses on main street, we were digging in front of an old tavern when old bottles started popping up out of the hole. I saw one I knew was really old in the spoil pile and started heading for it. My dad may have been late 50s at the time ,spotted it and leaped off machine and beat me to it lol. Well the bottle was old it was manufactured when Washington was still a territory and was marked with bottlers logo.it is very rare bottle, only a few exist, but that not the story. Maybe a decade later my dad got diagnosed with cancer and fought it for a couple years until it reached his brain. I went to his see him one day when he was really sick( near the end) and we talked about things, one thing we discussed was the bottle like we had done many times over the years a had a good laugh. He passed a little bit after that maybe a month or a little more. The next time I went and visited my step mom she said dad wanted me to have a few things there were a couple old guns , some antique tools, and the bottle.
I am here to say that bottle is one the most prized possession that I have. It on my dresser in bedroom I look at it everyday, I can still feel the connection.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That made me tear up Collector. I'm glad you have that.
Ditto!

I have many fond memories of working with my father and later spouse and I would laughingly recall the experiences he had working with my father. Could write a book about those two. . . the dreamer and the realist.

Latest posts