Thread for Whining About The Weather

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We are looking at low 80's and low 60's for the next couple days here. And glad to have it!! Tired of 100 heat index and so is the garden.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will commiserate with you. We have not had a single dry weekend since, like, March. And that was only because it was too snowy to rain.

My roses, the ones that survived last year's drought, are drowning this year. I potted them up so they'd dry out better, and now the pots are full of mud. We've got an unbelievable number of slugs, I can't keep up with the slug traps. We do get tomatoes, but about half of them get eaten by the slugs before they are properly red. This is with me dumping out full quart jars of Slug Beer every other day, with several Toad Houses in the garden occupied by extremely fat toads that are now suffering from indigestion. A significant amount of the seeds I planted just rotted in the ground. The only folks around here who are getting better yields than me started literally everything indoors. The only direct-sown things I have that are doing OK are pumpkins and summer squash. I should be harvesting potatoes any day now, except it never stops raining long enough for the tops to wilt at all. They're as leafy green now as they were in June.

I laid out this year's garden and did the soil amendments based on last year, which was six full weeks of drought and sun. So I did all sorts of mulching, layering, and compost-enriching type of things to preserve moisture. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

We even let the backyard lawn grow out quite a bit with the idea that we'd take a hay/straw crop and use it for chicken coop nest boxes and so forth. There wasn't a single good haymaking week all summer. Not one. It all rotted when we cut it and spread it out, and that was on a week when it was only supposed to rain twice, as opposed to daily.

I have a clothesline. I haven't been able to use it properly for months, because even on the rare days when it's not raining, it's still 100% humidity and nothing dries. I've had the same blankets and such out on the line for two weeks now, because they are too big to fit in the dryer properly and it never stops bloody raining long enough for them to dry. I went fishing several times, only to be chased out of the reservoir by thunderbolts 20 minutes later, one little bluegill in my cooler. I have been hoping for sun all August like last year, but it doesn't look like happening.

bamagirl68

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:hu Can someone tell me what rain is? Our county just entered back into extreme drought. Everything is drying up!
It was nice this morning though with the temps in the 60's for the first time since spring.:woot

I am in central Alabama, by the way.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is actually nice here today. It's currently (around noon) 85F and sunny. there is a nice breeze blowing out, so it's almost pleasant to be out in!

This is a nice change from our hundred degree temps from the last month or so.

Gardening-wise, we can plant our "fall" gardens now. What we mostly do, is just re-plant everything that is spent or that didn't do well and see if it goes better this time around.

Cassandra

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And now it must be Happy Hour in heaven, because it's bloody HAILING. 1/2 inch hail, putting cracks in all my windows and wrecking everyone's car paint.

I'm going to take a nap. Wake me up if it starts raining Jameson's to go with the ice.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind, you mustn't live anywhere near me, because I've had plenty of dry weekends - too many, up until about two weeks ago! The storms just seem to bypass my area quite frequently, and with our wonderful water bans I have to hand water - it takes hours, literally! Now it's finally raining consistently - I prefer more frequent rains to the searing dry heat in the summer.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You're way closer to the coast. I'm out in Worcester County, seems like the weather just saves up all its rain and snow just for us. We got tons more snow than you guys did all winter, I believe--when Boston got a couple of inches, we always got a foot or more.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
its been raining here since night before last, starts and stops. and been in the 70's for a high all week. My tomatoes are still green with a few exceptions.

Latest posts