Three Potato Four

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the Yukons bloomed in my garden, Thistle'. I notice that in general but am not concerned whether the potatoes do or don't.

The Yukon vines looked like they'd been run over by a John Deere last week before I cut them off at the soil level. They are just about the earliest of all to reach maturity.

Bubbles and Squeak is just potatoes and cabbage. There are a number of ways to make it from kind of a hash, to a casserole, to potato cakes, to just mashed potatoes with chopped cabbage added. Additions can include cheese, onions, cream, or just salt & pepper. Why the British call it Bubbles & Squeak is anybody's guess but those 2 veggies are pretty good together :p.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Bubbles and Squeak sounds like a fun menu item and I'm going to use it!

I didn't get my potatoes in until May 21, so I'm guessing yours were in before that and are farther along Steve.
The Maris Piper are finishing up their bloom and the Durango are just starting.
I grew potatoes for a few years when I lived in Alpine before I even knew they were blooming plants! Mine never did, and I had good harvests of good sized tubers, so yeah, blooming isn't all that big a deal to me either. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted on David Cassidy's Birthday, April 12th . . . I had no idea whose birthday was on that day until I looked back to see what day of the year it was and learn that the potatoes have been in the ground 108 days as of today.

:lol:

People may have other holidays as cues - - St. Patrick's Day, I'd better not do that . . . Texas Independence Day, better not do that. I don't think I want to go with David Cassidy's Birthday, either! It was just that the sprouting on the spuds had gone so far that I ended up putting them in ground that was colder than their storage room. Not the best thing for them . . .

We can be sure they didn't grow much those first few weeks.

Steve

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We got our potatoes in a bit late this year, but have about 100 hills (lets hope hubby gets the root cellar finished before "harvest time")......

I've got Kennebec ( volunteers from last year that we let go-- just a few plants), Yukon gold, Arimosa, and a Red variety.

Today was the day that I could wait no longer-- and chose a few plants and dug around and picked 1 new potato from each of about 7 plants. 4 different types of YUMMY new potatoes for supper. It was truly delicious!

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have Dutch Cream and Kennebecs to plant, big bags of them. I look forward to getting a harvest, but that is a ways off for us yet.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is interesting what potato varieties are available in different countries.

I don't think we could buy Dutch Cream if we wanted to grow them. Searching the internet, it looks like Yukon Gold is very similar.

Yukon Golds aren't US potatoes - Canadian bred. What the Canadians have generally gets thru the border but Europe has some remarkably different varieties for their gardeners to choose from. It think it probably has to do with trying to control the spread of plant diseases but don't really know.

Kennebec has been in my garden often. Our Maine gardeners have been familiar with that variety (& name) for generations ;).

Steve

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That bubbles and squeak sounds awesome. Potatoes also go well with green beans, limas, cow peas, carrots, and lots of other veggies. It is a truly versatile tuber!

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Bubble n squeak inspired me to make a cabbage, carrot, onion and garlic fry up. Nomnomnom...

As far as varieties, I've seen Dutch Cream, Kennebec, Anya, Pink Eye, some kind of purple potato, a large red potato, and Maris Piper I think. I'd love to grow tons of potatoes, but just don't have the room for it all.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Potato harvest in the 200 square feet patch continues. Usually about 20 square feet at a time. I've planted Asian greens in the 1st 2 sections - seedlings have come up in the 1st section!

Here's an "action" shot! I'm just about to lever that shovel up and those spuds will fall into the loose soil! Turns out, there were 6 medium-sized & 2 tiny Yukon Golds under that plant!

DSC00246.JPG

Usually, there are 4 but with any number, there's about 4 pounds of spuds per plant. I've never weighed them by the plant but I think this is fairly good.

I'd thought I'd already finished with the Yukon Gold and went on to some of the Purple Majesty last week. Gold, Purple or Red Norlands - they've all done about the same.

Steve :tools

Latest posts