Three Potato Four

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve my DH is jealous of your spuds... that is the only crop he grows himself... he isnt a 'farmer' yet but is interested in growing potatoes so I give him some space in the garden and he takes care of his 'crops' ...this year he planted a blue potato and was disappointed most of them where tiny...he probably didnt wait long enough...however the ones he thought didnt have eyes went into one of the compost piles and they are doing much better...LOL

I will recomend he go back to the Kennibunk except for a little scab one year they seem to do the best...

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pam tell DH not to get down on the blue potatoes. The ones I saw at the Farmers Market today were small too they looked like seed potatoes. I put some in and haven't harvested them yet. They are still growing and I'm content to leave them alone for the time being. I don't expect them to be huge they are more of a novelty to me. Kids get purple mashed potatoes that's really why I did it.

Besides at least he doesn't want a whole row of giant pumpkins or something ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several years ago, I grew Purple Peruvian fingerlings in the garden.

They were not in the best location, too much morning shade. The plants were very large and curiosity overcame me about this time of year.

This is a late variety. I probably dug them 6 weeks too early and should have just waited for frost to kill the vines.

I misspoke - I harvested some of the Purple Viking plants already, not Purple Majesty. Both are new-to-me. Majesty are all-purple, the Vikings have a white interior. It took me a couple of seasons to become accustomed to gold potatoes! I don't know how long it will take before I have an appetite for purple mashed potatoes! I didn't do right by them and the purple fingerlings years ago didn't do much for me . . .

Steve :rolleyes:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just noodled around one of the purple vikings i had in the garden since it looked like something either got to it or it was starting to die back. i was able to pull up 4 medium sized potatoes but i certainly know there are plenty more growing further down the hill! :D i was worried that our long and crazy hot and dry spells would have stopped them from growing but figured the drenching of rain we got early on helped them some! after reading the description i figured they would do ok if we got another 'monsoon' summer here. seems like they will be a good all around potato for the north east regardless of water issues!

Mom, next year if you and your DH want to go in on an order of different varieties of potatoes let me know!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
i just noodled around one of the purple vikings i had in the garden since it looked like something either got to it or it was starting to die back. i was able to pull up 4 medium sized potatoes but i certainly know there are plenty more growing further down the hill! :D i was worried that our long and crazy hot and dry spells would have stopped them from growing but figured the drenching of rain we got early on helped them some! after reading the description i figured they would do ok if we got another 'monsoon' summer here. seems like they will be a good all around potato for the north east regardless of water issues!

Mom, next year if you and your DH want to go in on an order of different varieties of potatoes let me know!
Thanks I will mention it to DH remind me in the spring...are you going to the Chicken Swap Sat???

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you talking about the one over in Sanford? i have a wedding to go to this saturday. and next weekend i have a birthday party for a friend to get to but i think i can make it for that swap.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is the only weekend I can make it to Sanford.... Wedding next weekend and camping trip Labor Day weekend...will also try in September if they are still having them...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah yes,

Creamed Chicken over Mashed Potatoes!

I'd even be happy with frozen peas at this time of year - plenty of them!

Peaches on Pound Cake . . . please!

Steve :D

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ooooh...peaches and pound cake! i just picked one of my peaches but it had been bug bitten so the chickens got a treat of it! it smelled soooo sweet! :drool

this reminds me i have to get making my potato salad for tomorrow's picnic for work! got to run! enjoy your potato laden meal ideas tonight!

Latest posts