Three Sisters Garden

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Ojo de Cabra I have are a late season bean, but good and productive.

Some other good productive corn climbing dry beans will be, Cranberry Horticultural, Italian Borlotto Pole, (these will make beautiful striped red pods), Cherokee Trail of Tears, Allubias de Tolusa.

If you want to grow the best tasting, Flor de Mayo are about as late as the Ojo de Cabra.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
The Ojo de Cabra I have are a late season bean, but good and productive.

What exactly do you mean by late? Best grown late in the season? Plant late harvest late???

g

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mean that they take longer to mature. Planted 5th May, Hidatsa Shield Figure dry pole Beans were beginning to ripen dry by mid August. My Ojo de Cabras began ripening late September.

I had a lucky late lasting season this year. There were some light frosts from November but the final killer frosts happened at the start of December this year.

I follow your not understanding what I meant. Sorry. There are I understand, places farther south that can have a winter season for things like Beans, but I think for mainland U.S. those places are mostly along the southern border or one of those Key Largo places. Hawaii probably has winter planted gardens too... :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh!

Well, I would sure love to hear about gardening that far south!

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Actually I think I'm about an hour north. I'm in North County San Diego about 6 miles from the coast. For me Cool season veggies start in Feb and pretty much everything else starts in March.

Mostly mild temps until late Sept when it can get as high as 110 deg.

The Farmers Almanac says ideal planting time for corn is March 15. I will probably add the bean seeds to the 3 Sisters garden a week or so later.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse though. I still need to till. :D

G

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I hear that's a nice place Tanks. My ex girlfriend from a long time ago who lives near the Salton Sea most of the year goes to live on the coast during the hottest part of the year to keep from the extreme heat, and she describes the place as north of San Diego right on the coast.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So the adventure has begun. I am definetly not and expert gardener. My forte is throwing seeds in the dirt and waiting to see what happens. Please keep this in mind.

This weekend I kinda planned out the space where my 3 sisters is going to go. Marked the corners guestimated the spacing of my mounds and got busy. I thought you all might like to follow my progress.

So this is an east facing slope in my orchard. Normally the chickens and turkeys would be in this field but due to the local coyote population they no longer exist. Hence the feathers. So this year Im planting the space.

My plan was to till up a square between the two avocado trees.
IMG_0698_zps8951efc5.jpg

This is the space tilled. I think the mounds may be there, I cant really see.
IMG_0713_zpsc2ffb0df.jpg

I unloaded the coop. I use the deep liter method so there was plenty to till in. Then tilled that in as well.

Then I guesstimated my mounds. Heres a better view.
IMG_0715_zps85216580.jpg

Im going to let it lay for a week or so. Probably hand water. I am having second thoughts about my corn choice. Is it Dent corn thats meant for grinding??

So what do you all think?

gina

ps does anyone know why my google spell check wont work on this page? It use it everywhere else with no problems. And why the heck are the pics so huge???

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, lucky you, TanksHill! It looks like spring has arrived where you are. :coolsun

Dent corn should be a very good choice. Most of them grow 8-12 feet tall. The hybrid sweet corns are those that tend to be too small or not strong enough to carry the weight of the beans.

I am sorry to hear you lost your chickens and turkeys. So sad to see the pile of feathers the pred left behind. :( I lost all of my flock to neighbor dogs last year, but I'm gonna electrify everything this year!

Latest posts