Throw away Downey Unstoppables!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have used the purple and teal beads, but when I switched to the orange beads 2 months ago I never realized WHY I was started suffering from welts all over my body!!
I searched to see if anybody else had the same problem, bc I have NEVER had welts as an allergic reaction EVER!!!
I have been taking 2-3 benedryl every day for the last 2 months, and twice my throat almost closed up before I took the benedryl.
This morning I took a knock off benedryl and slept for 4 hours.
I am wearing a long sleeved white cotton long underwear shirt. I always bleach my whites.
I am wearing jeans that were never rinsed with Downey Unstoppables.
My welts are subsiding and I am feeling better.
Need to spread the word.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
all fabric softeners are pretty horrid to us and we are sensitive to smells and perfumes so we avoid using them as much as possible. if you've not ever noticed the smells from those perfumes and detergents (including dish soaps) often will cling to any plastics (containers, wraps, etc) and then if you put food in them you can later on taste it. pretty gross to me after making all that nice food and then trying to put it into storage and having it taste like soaps and/or perfumes.

people who are used to having house scents all the time don't realise it is in everything. i don't think they are very good for people in general and perhaps can be behind some of increase in asthma, allergies and other breathing issues.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am cautious with any synthetic scents. I remember when my son was born and the hospital would intermittently take him those first 72 hours and return him clothed in their own stuff. I noticed whenever they did that he got little bitty bumps on his skin and the first thing I'd do each time was put him right back into clothes that I had brought. Those detergents they used smelled fresh, but were probably quite toxic.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have chemical sensitivity and react to practically everything. Scented laundry products are terrible on me. I use tide clear, unscented, and NO dryer sheets, NO fabric softener, at all. None, zilch, zero. I use wool balls in the dryer, it helps with static cling.

No perfume or cologne, no air freshener, no cleaning products, no candles, nothing. No deodorant either, fortunately I don’t stink. LOL

I can use Palmolive original, Dove bar soap, original, Nature shampoo. I clean with vinegar and can tolerate a weak Clorox solution.
That’s it.

Ducks, I’m sorry that you suffered whelps and misery. Think about all the chemicals you use daily. Scented personal products all contain chemicals. Air fresheners that are poison if you drink them, but spray the air and deep breathe it into your lungs? You just got a small taste of my life. I’ve been chemical free for over 20 years and I’m better for it.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why, oh why are humans so obsessed with "nice" smells? We probably all have our own horror stories about having to sit next to a heavily-perfumed (allergy-inducing) person at work, or needing to avoid a whole wing at the mall because of the Bath and Body Works stench.
I think that the user's sense of smell gets dulled after a while, and they keep using more of the product. Heaven help us!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks for the kind words! :hugs
Yesterday I double washed my bed blanket (cotton and dk blue, so I Couldn't bleach it!) and double rinsed that and my bed spread.
Turns out the bed pants needed more washing, some welts this morning, but they went away when I changed my clothes.
DH, Bless him, said, throw away any clothes that are setting your off!!
This is a Popular product and I hope that they quietly take it off the shelves.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why, oh why are humans so obsessed with "nice" smells? We probably all have our own horror stories about having to sit next to a heavily-perfumed (allergy-inducing) person at work, or needing to avoid a whole wing at the mall because of the Bath and Body Works stench.
I think that the user's sense of smell gets dulled after a while, and they keep using more of the product. Heaven help us!

the other thing is that people often put it on as they've cleaned up and taken a bath/shower/whatever so the scent is strongest right when they go out. after a few hours it does fade but by then they've already likely gotten me.

some scents are so reactive for me that i have to run away from some people (which was not the greatest customer service at the library but ...).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No perfume or cologne, no air freshener, no cleaning products, no candles, nothing. No deodorant either, fortunately I don’t stink. LOL

the aloe vera gel has been working out fantastically for deoderant for me for about the past year. just schmear goop on pits after a shower (and use the shirt pit to wipe it off each hand so nothing is wasted) a little extra doesn't seem to hurt anything. lasts a few days.

but pretty much the same here for most things, i just don't want to smell stuff and react to almost all flowers (which sucks because i love flowers (hence my username)) and pollens and ...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! :hugs
Yesterday I double washed my bed blanket (cotton and dk blue, so I Couldn't bleach it!) and double rinsed that and my bed spread.
Turns out the bed pants needed more washing, some welts this morning, but they went away when I changed my clothes.
DH, Bless him, said, throw away any clothes that are setting your off!!
This is a Popular product and I hope that they quietly take it off the shelves.

call their 800 number they'll likely give you coupons or a refund plus you can give them direct feedback.

Latest posts