Thyme After Time

Do You Think of Thyme as A Good Go-to Herb?

• Total voters

The Happy Hen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh thyme. I love thyme! :love Now, granted, I didn't used to. I hadn't been exposed to herb growing and cooking with herbs....till 2014. Then, I ended up with a severe skin rash. Under breasts, In unmentionable areas :ep It took me a bit of online research to figure out how to treat it.
I ended up making thyme teas as well as rosemary, and bathed the rashes several times daily. They cleared up just fine, and haven't returned.

Now, I keep 2 planter buckets full of thyme growing. As well as rosemary, chives, oregano, bee balm, cat nip, mint, and sage. I am learning how to cook with the herbs as well as using them for their medicinal uses.

And...welcome Kaitlyn! :welcome

Hello,

I am glad the Thyme helped you! I grow bee balm...
Oh, I think... And I want to use it more often.

Thank you for responding! :)
And thanks for the welcome!

I have grown every herd on the market. But NEVER used it to cook with! LOL . Guess I just am not a fancy cook at all! IF I really need any in a recipe there is always the stuff in a jar ! :hide DH is fine with that as he tends to like foods plan.

Yeah, I love cooking, but just for fun! (Trying to say I am no expert! ;))
What is your favorite herb so far? :)

~Kaitlyn

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Kaitlyn, I like thyme in chicken soup and on beef, stew and roast. DW goes for the rosemary on the roasts.

We probably use more basil than any other herb. I like it just fine ... from my perspective. However, my family teases me because I don't really want to eat it. Hey! I like the flavor but ... it's not actually a leafy green, you know. I can't really go pesto.

We also use lots of ginger and cilantro. I'm gonna count my favorite soft drink in that appreciation for ginger :) ... like the cookies, too. Then cilantro because of the benefits to our versions of Asian and Mexican food. Ginger goes with the Asian, stir-fries and such.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thyme is my absolute favorite herb and use a lot, in almost anything. Fresh thyme is also really nice sprinkled on top of a bowl of chicken or split pea soup just before serving. I have several tubs of English or just plain old winter thyme on the go at all times, these have the best flavor as far as I'm concerned. I grow other varieties but don't use them for cooking. Rosemary runs a close second, followed by Greek oregano, Chives and French tarragon

Annette.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We cook all our steaks with thyme! I guess I shouldn't say we. It's really my chef son. He's the one I grow my herbs for. I love to see him out in the garden picking stuff.
That just rocks Mary, wish I had someone to share my garden with like that. Does he use it as a sprinkle or in a marinade?

I could see myself using it as a fresh sprinkle for my own plate now: Who knew thyme was just more than an ornamental ground cover? :gig(all I have ever used it for...:oops:, now I have 'idears'...;))

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That just rocks Mary, wish I had someone to share my garden with like that. Does he use it as a sprinkle or in a marinade?

I could see myself using it as a fresh sprinkle for my own plate now: Who knew thyme was just more than an ornamental ground cover? :gig(all I have ever used it for...:oops:, now I have 'idears'...;))
He will throw in sprigs into the pan along with garlic (not peeled), olive oil, and butter.

Mary

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I grow a lot of what might be called pseudo-thyme. That is herbs that are not part of the genus Thymus but have flavor profiles similar to thyme.

The big one is Spanish Thyme a.k.a. Plectranthus amboinicus. I use a LOT of that, especially in things like horatiki. The fact it is a succulent means that you can get what it in essence thyme juice, which saves a LOT of marinating time.

I also have played around a little bit with conehead thyme
Cordiothymus capitatus but I don't grow that anymore. While probably the strongest thyme flavored plant on Earth (so strong it's almost painful) it is too finicky to grow well (I went through four before I got one to even take for a little while)

There is also cat thyme (Teucium maru) but that isn't for me to eat; it's for the cat (if catnip is kitty dope, cat thyme is kitty crack.)

The Happy Hen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hello,

We cook all our steaks with thyme! I guess I shouldn't say we. It's really my chef son. He's the one I grow my herbs for. I love to see him out in the garden picking stuff.

Mary
Hello, nice to meet you! That is really nice!

Hi Kaitlyn, I like thyme in chicken soup and on beef, stew and roast. DW goes for the rosemary on the roasts.

We probably use more basil than any other herb. I like it just fine ... from my perspective. However, my family teases me because I don't really want to eat it. Hey! I like the flavor but ... it's not actually a leafy green, you know. I can't really go pesto.

We also use lots of ginger and cilantro. I'm gonna count my favorite soft drink in that appreciation for ginger :) ... like the cookies, too. Then cilantro because of the benefits to our versions of Asian and Mexican food. Ginger goes with the Asian, stir-fries and such.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve

Hello,

Yes! I like all of the herbs you listed! Thanks you for the welcome!

Thyme is my absolute favorite herb and use a lot, in almost anything. Fresh thyme is also really nice sprinkled on top of a bowl of chicken or split pea soup just before serving. I have several tubs of English or just plain old winter thyme on the go at all times, these have the best flavor as far as I'm concerned. I grow other varieties but don't use them for cooking. Rosemary runs a close second, followed by Greek oregano, Chives and French tarragon

Annette.

Hello, nice to meet you! That is a really nice thing to use thyme for!

Hi, And welcome~you wana arm wrestle~ I grow it too, it just keeps coming back.

Richard
Hello, Thank you for the welcome, Richard! Arm wrestle? :p Yes, it is a strong herb!

Thyme is lovely with eggs...scrambles, omelet, quiche. I am finding more ways to use it in cooking. Nothing beats fresh thyme! :drool

He will throw in sprigs into the pan along with garlic (not peeled), olive oil, and butter.

Mary

That is a really nice idea, and yes, nothing beats fresh Thyme! Anything fresh is the goal for my life! :)

I grow a lot of what might be called pseudo-thyme. That is herbs that are not part of the genus Thymus but have flavor profiles similar to thyme.

The big one is Spanish Thyme a.k.a. Plectranthus amboinicus. I use a LOT of that, especially in things like horatiki. The fact it is a succulent means that you can get what it in essence thyme juice, which saves a LOT of marinating time.

I also have played around a little bit with conehead thyme
Cordiothymus capitatus but I don't grow that anymore. While probably the strongest thyme flavored plant on Earth (so strong it's almost painful) it is too finicky to grow well (I went through four before I got one to even take for a little while)

There is also cat thyme (Teucium maru) but that isn't for me to eat; it's for the cat (if catnip is kitty dope, cat thyme is kitty crack.)

I learned a lot! Thanks!

Nice meeting everybody! Thank you for the welcomes and wonderful responses!
Have a lovely evening!

~Kaitlyn