time to change your avatar.....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good job @digitS' I was wondering who would be first to notice and how long it would take. I changed the avatar yesterday (Sunday) evening.

He's 4 months and doing fine. He's one of those happy laidback babies as long as he is fed and changed. My wife and I were down babysitting him and his 5 year old sister for about a week at the end of May. Both parents are teachers and had to work after kindergarten let out. The other grandparent-in-residence down there (Way South Louisiana) is also a teacher and was working so we had to make that sacrifice and take care of the grandkids. Oh, the things we do for our kids. Next trip down I'll try to get a picture of the two of them together for another avatar change.

@Carol Dee what's been keeping me busy has been broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, chard, and kale going into the freezer since I got back. Today it was peas. Tomorrow I'll start some sauerkraut. Then it should be dry enough to go after the grass and weeds and resume mulching. Even without that week long trip I'd be behind. Always am this time of year.

Since @baymule and @thistlebloom have trouble operating without photos I'll show some Candid Charm Cauliflower. I was pleased with it.

Cauliflower.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely cauliflower ya' got there @Ridgerunner I love cauliflower salad! Even better if you have broccoli to chip up in it too! Aren't grandkids the best? You've got a cutie there!

I am going to shred most of it for squash fritters. I am going to slice and freeze some too. I love fried squash and frozen squash lets me get my fried squash fix in the winter. I use a mandolin slicer and pack into vacuum bags, then seal. I don't blanch them. When ready to cook some, I set a package out on the counter in the morning and let thaw. I snip a corner off the bag, drain water, then twist it like a rag to squeeze all the water out. Then I dredge the slices in cornmeal and fry. Delicious!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I didn't think you could freeze squash. Thought it got too mushy. Can you use zip lock bags if you don't have a vacuum sealer?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I didn't think you could freeze squash. Thought it got too mushy. Can you use zip lock bags if you don't have a vacuum sealer?

Mary
It does turn to mush. :sick It was purely by accident that I discovered squeezing the water out. The vacuum sealer draws all the air out, you could try a zip loc bag on a couple of squash. Freeze it, wait a week, then thaw, squeeze the water out and fry it. That way, you could "trial run" it to see if zip lock bags work.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
America's Test Kitchen has a recipe for zucchini bread in which they squeeze the moisture out of the zucchini after letting it sit for a while. It reportedly is much lighter and yummier.
I don't know if I remember how to change my avatar. I'll work on it. Not easy with my computer, phone and IQ. Did I mention I hate my Lenovo flex 3 Laptop? Just in case you didn't see it the last 3 times I said it.

Latest posts