time to start thinking about purging your larder

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yes so sad to have too much maple syrup :lol:

this weekend it was a couple of bags of home made pirogues in the freezer I forgot I had them and what a score!!! tossed in some butter with fresh from the garden cilantro and chives ..this was an OMG it is there ..it is easy and it is heartwarmingly good suck your thumb twirl your hair comfort food...after busting my butt in the garden for days!!!

I love when I forget what is in the freezer and it surfaces again

I still have 2 bags of rhubarb that have to be used up because the rhubarb is pushing through the ground now and in another month I will be pulling it again ...

so perhaps this weekend I will do a Persian style pot roast with rhubarb sauce

if you have never tried rhubarb as a sauce for especially beef or lamb ..well you must!!!

:thumbsup

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I love when I forget what is in the freezer and it surfaces again

I still have 2 bags of rhubarb that have to be used up because the rhubarb is pushing through the ground now and in another month I will be pulling it again ...

so perhaps this weekend I will do a Persian style pot roast with rhubarb sauce

if you have never tried rhubarb as a sauce for especially beef or lamb ..well you must!!!
:frow :frow

Too right HiD. Fish tastes great with it too. :throw Spring is really on it's way....!! :ya

:rose Hattie :rose

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Boy! This is one area ... well I certainly need a kick in the rear!
OR it is a trick! ... I KNOW I did not put that many green beans IN THERE! :rolleyes:
I made a little dent ... a BIG pot of beef stew ... and shared with the neighbors on Sunday ... :)
I WILL use that rhubarb! ... and peppers ... and diced onions!

It has been a daunting transition for me ... going from 17 tummies to feed to just the two of us, just in the past few years.
Organize I must! ... and start handing out those extras, pronto!

Thanks for the much needed boot! :hugs

And BEETS! SHOOT! I forgot to buy beet seeds!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love me some oyster sause but I love me some fish sauce as well mixed with some magic seasame oil.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind, I dont suppose you would be willing to post how you make all that extra syrup? Starting with the tree tapping? You see I have the horrific desease that when I see or hear something my brain all the sudden says "You can make that, why buy it?" It is a sickness and my DW only aids to it! :lol:

Thanks ahead of time for supporting an addict.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I love me some oyster sause but I love me some fish sauce as well mixed with some magic seasame oil.
OH ME TOOOO salty fermented fishy goodness :)

fish sauce from the Island of Phu Quoc is the best I have ever found! here is a little something something on it

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003626689_fishsauce20.html

I find this type here for like $3/huge bottle and use it freely as it is just the tastiest stuff

I also like Squid brand it is completely different so I keep both on hand

yum!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!! :weee

I had tons of nasturtiums last year ..I do every year ..and tons of seed and tiny buds

I put them in a big jark of brine alone with a few layers of vine leaves, nasturtium seeds, buds and some stems as well (they are curily and interesting) some fresh baby garlic and green cherry tomatoes ...just salt water brine those things and a sterile jar ..in the garage .. forgotten about for six months now

this things taste wonderful!!!! the seeds do taste like a caper

Hattie gave me a nudge with a great link on picking nasturtium seeds and then I remembered I had this ...forgetting is not always bad because it is like getting a present when you remember!!!

6185_img_5336.jpg

they are very garlicky perfectly brined and a little sharpness ..the tomatoes are tart and the vine leaves I will stufff next weekend

this is kind of a larder purge help me thinks of what else to do with these ..and if you like capers and grow lots of nasturtiums do try this!!!
next year I am going to just pack them in dry salt

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, can you explain packing them in dry salt??? I love to grow nasturtiums, but I've never eaten the seeds....Thanks!

Latest posts