Time To Talk About Next Year

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
The kids love to help in the garden too and we have a lot of fun at that too. DD6 has even taken to saving her own seeds...a little of this and that and all lumped together. :lol: But once summer was all said and done, we didn't get to go fishing or camping once this year. So I gotta find a little balance, I guess.
Your comment sparked memories of when my boys were little Journey. We spent a lot of time outside and in the garden, they had their own little plots, and they pitched in with the animal chores. I think those are good memories for them, even though when they relate them now, they make it sound like that's all they ever did was work! :D

Funny, my days were extremely full back then, I managed to have a big garden, homeschool, keep a couple horses that got ridden regularly, play womens soccer, maintain a few gardening jobs a week, compete in a half dozen endurance races a year, and we went camping and hiking and other recreational fun too. The days must have been much longer than 24 hours back then. I am comparatively non productive now and always feel like I'm just dragging along. :( We didn't camp this year either, and I blamed it on being too busy...

I need more of a balance too.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, you sure fit in a lot, Thistle!

I just need to quit making extra work for myself... All work, no play! :p

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't really decided exactly what I want to plant next year. I know I would like to try some Sunset Runner beans, and plenty of common beans (P. Vulgaris). Uzbekski Cuke (Kiva type), White Scallop Squash, and Cowpeas I know will also be on the list. I also have an order coming from the SSE. Other than that I'm really not sure yet. I was thinking about using dead tree branches for the runner beans, due to our lack of poles.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have already started my sweet potato
slips, and they are very small and coming around. I am excited about the black coco beans that I found left over in the garden I plan to start them next year .

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
the1honeycomb said:
I have already started my sweet potato
slips, and they are very small and coming around. I am excited about the black coco beans that I found left over in the garden I plan to start them next year .
When do you set your sweet potato slips out, honeycomb?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
9782e117-2891-4a17-9bc3-b2180b0ff46f_zps29cb1040.jpg

I mentioned this Portuguese kale about 6 weeks ago. Since I forgot to order the seed for the 2013 garden, I suspect that there's a risk that I will forget to plant the seed, in the 2014 garden!

Nah, I can't be that absent minded . . . I may still have Senposai seed but I gotta give those trials a rest. It is a Japanese green that is very similar to this big Portuguese kale but it isn't the same - doesn't taste the same. The Senposai made really nice flower bud that were a lot like broccoli but it did that during the summer. Great! However, it only performed well 1 year out of the 3 that I grew it. It may have been my fault. I know that it was in a much too shady location this year. The plants were HUGE but the flower stalks were skinny nothings!

I wasn't trying for flower stalks when I grew the Portuguese kale in 2012. I am almost certain that it is a biennial but I was after the leaves, anyway. Unique flavor and not all that kale-like . . . I have the seed already so I'm good to go next year!

Steve :)

bugkiller

Sprout
Reaction score
I id all my tomato's in upside down planters and will never do it any other way now. Such low maintenance and yielded way more tomato's than I have ever got before,

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
bugkiller said:
I id all my tomato's in upside down planters and will never do it any other way now. Such low maintenance and yielded way more tomato's than I have ever got before,
Hi Bugkiller! :welcome You'll have to tell us your secret for successful upside down tomatoes. Most reposts I have seen of them are way less than satisfactory. What kind of tomatoes, how did you plant them, etc?

bugkiller

Sprout
Reaction score
Really I will start a post about it, cause I never had so good luck ever with tomato's and there very low maintenance. I will start a separate thread about how I did it. Feel free to PVT message me with questions also. I cant believe I am giving advise. it is usually me hounding ppl for tips. LOL

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
bugkiller said:
Really I will start a post about it, cause I never had so good luck ever with tomato's and there very low maintenance. I will start a separate thread about how I did it. Feel free to PVT message me with questions also. I cant believe I am giving advise. it is usually me hounding ppl for tips. LOL
Don't you just love it? Every one of us has good information and experience to share!

Latest posts