Tips on growing Morning Glories?

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Today I soaked the seeds in water and I plan on plating them tomorrow in several pots. I will be keeping them indoors for about four weeks to make sure winter and the last frost is over. When the plants get bigger I will be transporting them into bigger pots, and then into the ground. Could one grow in one big pot or no? And any tips would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I think it might be very wise to grow them in large pots as they have a tendency to take over the garden. Also as they finish flowering pick off the seed pods -- now this can be difficult as they romp up very high so it's hard to get at them. Try to plant them in an area where you don't mind them being 'bullies' as they do tend to strangle other plants........!! :th
However they are a beautiful blue & I love blue flowers. :D

Good Luck! :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hattie, thank you so much for answering this question too! Blue is my favorite color, so I've picked out blue flowers to grow this year. Would the roots have enough room in big pots?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

I think so, but try to use really large ones. I look forward to seeing photos of your blue garden! :D

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lol, thank you! I do too! That will be a while though, and I also have my 15 chickens to think about.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

I know the feeling I have to kill & freeze a whole lot of noisy roos this week. I have Dorkings & hatched far too many boys........!! It's my first attempt at "doing the deed" although I have "cleaned" a lot before!

My soil is still far too wet & muddy to work yet, even in the raised beds. We are still getting harsh frosts at night although the days are bright & sunny.

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have Australorps, Jersey Giants, Cochins, Plymouth Rocks, Easter Eggers, Leghorns, Old English Game bantams, and D'Uccles.

It's been about 39 here at night. It doesn't seem as cold tonight. During the day it's been around the 60's.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

I have a few White Plymouth Rocks but they are miniatures.

I am so jealous of your weather............!!

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does that same site that you showed me for the tomatoes have one for Morning Glories and Bachelor Buttons too? I tried looking but couldn't find a list of plants.

I can't wait till it gets warmer. One of my chickens is getting over a cold. And I want my plants to grow fast XD!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Try Googling each plant by saying How to grow Morning Glory from seed; I just did it & lots of sites came up......! :cool:

I find Google by far & away the best --- just ask that little box any old question & it will produce lots of answers. I always compare a few sites just in case....... :hu

If it doesn't answer it it usually means you haven't worded you request very clearly so try again. It's very easy & all the information is out there waiting to be used.

Good luck! :D

Latest posts