Tips on growing Morning Glories?

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I tried several times to grow Morning Glories from seed with no success. Then someone told me to rub the seeds on a nail file or sandpaper, just a bit, to get through the seed coat but no further. Then plant. It worked!
Did you ever try soaking the seeds for 24 hours before planting them? I heard you have to because the seeds are so thick! I soaked mine before I planted them, and before I put them in the dirt I noticed the majorty of them cracked open.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love moon flowers!!! They really smell like heaven- you will certainly enjoy them!

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ohh! I think that's kinda neat how they're in the same family and bloom at different times! I heard Morning Glories are poisonous to chickens. I mean, either way I plan on keeping mine in a big pot, but still. There are some small trees that bloom pink flowers that were said to be poisonous to chickens and I've had chickens eat the leaves before. lol! Sorry I can't recall the name of the tree.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
freemotion said:
. I even grew them over a dead dwarf apple tree that I turned upside down, trimmed to fit, and nestled a bowl in the roots for a birdbath. It lasted two seasons and was just gorgeous. Looked like a Morning Glory bush, and the birds loved it. The vines grew up over the bowl and made a covered bath for the more prudish birds who didn't want to bathe in the public eye.... ;)
I did much the same kind of thing one year with a dead tree stump that refused to be moved until I built the chicken coop, and it had to go via a power saw!

Here is the stump, before Morning Glories... It was a tree hit by lightening, and was sooooooooo hard it refused to be cut with a hand saw!

TreeFaceLongshotemail.jpg

Here is the Tree Stump with Morning Glory Vine Hair. in 2007
TreeFacewithVineHairemail.jpg

This is in 2008 the last photo of the stump!
Aug312008TreeFaceemail.jpg

And here I am cutting the stump out because it was in the way of my nest box.

90708RemovingTreeStumpemail.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
rebbetzin- I love the morning glory hairdo!! Too bad it had to go! I love a little humor in the garden--hate to take myself too seriously!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
rebbetzin,...um..you look at little too gleefully happy with that powersaw! :ep
I had been trying for YEARS to get that stump removed! It was always in the way! I had tried about everything to remove it. One of my friends finally came with a super duper power saw to help me get it out. It still took me over an hour to get it cut out!!

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
LOL! Your expression in the last pic is priceless!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am missing the tree stump when I look at my old garden photos.
I used to make a 'scarecrow" out of that old stump!

Scarecrowemail.jpg

Here she is with a morning glory shawl.
ScarcrowAugLightened.jpg

Here are some photos of my Morning Glory vines in past years. This was before the Chicken Coop was built in that spot in the garden. I have grown morning glories over Sunflowers and PVC pipe to make some arches in the garden.

SunflowerArchlookingNorth71906email.jpg

Arches03Aug42006email.jpg

Here is the gate of my potting shed.
PottingshedGateSeptemail.jpg

I got a bunch of old pallets for free that year. Now most of them are painted white.

Latest posts