Tips on growing Morning Glories?

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks! I never just thought about Googling. I always use Google. Very resourceful :)!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Morning glories will grow almost anywhere, with almost no soil at all, in between concrete cracks. :lol: careful

Another note, Ipomoea tricolor which is marketed as "Heavenly Blue" or other blue names can be poisonous to chickens, among other animals and children. Mostly just the seeds and leaves contain high amounts of toxins.

Other than that, I think morning glories make a great way to cover up unsightly fences. They re-seed quickly and well. You can collect seeds from the dried pods pretty easy too.

Carlos

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Morning Glories need no help on growing. I am still pulling them up every year since they got out of hand. (about 7 years now)

I planted mine on the East side of the house so they can trail up my posts to my steps. Looked beutiful till the chickens came over and started to scratch around them. Well they spread those seeds all over.

Yeah keep them in a pot. Do not plant directly in the ground. I learned my lesson.

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you guys! I will keep them in a pot for both my chicken's safety, and my own sanity. lol! Could I grow one inside the house or would I have to eventually put it outside?

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
BlueRose said:
Thank you guys! I will keep them in a pot for both my chicken's safety, and my own sanity. lol! Could I grow one inside the house or would I have to eventually put it outside?
I dont know about growing in the house... They can reach 20'+! But I guess it would depend on the variety you have. What is the difference in putting them in a pot vs the ground? Wouldnt it still drop seeds?

Ive always planted mine in the ground and I have not had a problem with them becoming invasive..

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love Morning Glories!! They are to the point of WEEDS in my yard!
I have never had Heavely Blues breed true. They quickly, turn to deep purple by the next generation! Any ideas? I have tons of purple and pinks, but if I want Heavenly Blue.. I have to get new seed each year.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I tried several times to grow Morning Glories from seed with no success. Then someone told me to rub the seeds on a nail file or sandpaper, just a bit, to get through the seed coat but no further. Then plant. It worked!

I chose a shorter variety (5-6') of dark purple ones and they've been coming back every year since. Can't remember the name, heresy, I know. I find them all over my garden and transplant them where I want them. I even grew them over a dead dwarf apple tree that I turned upside down, trimmed to fit, and nestled a bowl in the roots for a birdbath. It lasted two seasons and was just gorgeous. Looked like a Morning Glory bush, and the birds loved it. The vines grew up over the bowl and made a covered bath for the more prudish birds who didn't want to bathe in the public eye.... ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I love that idea Freemotion. Do you have a photo? I am always planting mine here and there to climb over everything! They are one of my favs- and since I am in zone 4, not invasive...

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sorry, no photo, wish I had taken one though. It was one of those things....I was burning brush, and the previous winter some critters had eaten the roots of the tree and it simply fell over once the ground thawed. I was about to throw it on the burn pile, but its shape caught my eye. I took out my loppers and started pruning and before long, garden sculpture!

That reminds me, I should get out into the woods and look for something for the morning glories to climb before the mosquitoes come out in droves....

Latest posts