Tired of Wind Chill

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It must be when the math magic shows it at below 50 that the Weather Service makes note of wind chill.

Hardly matters, check the temperature at being below 50° and the wind gusts at above 20mph, then step outside.

Plants aren't "warm-blooded." However, what possibly can be going on with them in such conditions?!

We've had a few days without seeing 70°. It's supposed to be 62° today and 61° tomorrow -- whoop-de-do. The smattering of rain every 6 hours just makes things more unpleasant.

Steve
fair weather gardener

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our local weatherman promised a week of "summer like Grandma used to make," which just points out that we have had some really weird weather lately too.
I don't know how our fragile garden plants make it with all this weirdness. Hopefully your weather will even out, Steve, and you will get your maters.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Often our Weather Channel town forecast shows the nighttime temperature and the forecast, "Light, Freezing Rain." Often the temperature is something like 63 degrees F AND Light, Freezing Rain.
....Definitely live in the little town the Time and TWC forgot...

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, this periodic rain is definitely annoying - been trying to get a patio set sanded down and oiled for the summer. This morning just as we were about to start applying the oil, down came the 1st raindrops. Blah. If we were moved into our new house already i'd have a garage or pole barn to work in...well, soon!

Took the plastic off the garden yesterday, and turned the irrigation off since we've been getting so much rain. I'm ready for summer darn it!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The afternoon in the garden was far more pleasant than I expected!

No, it didn't even hit the predicted high. The wild wind almost died away! It is picking up again now. This "system" is swirling above the Columbia.

I'm celebrating 3 or 4 hours in the garden by having a Big Serving of beet thinnings and little smokies with an Alaskan dark ale!

:) Steve

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It must be when the math magic shows it at below 50 that the Weather Service makes note of wind chill.

Hardly matters, check the temperature at being below 50° and the wind gusts at above 20mph, then step outside.

Plants aren't "warm-blooded." However, what possibly can be going on with them in such conditions?!

We've had a few days without seeing 70°. It's supposed to be 62° today and 61° tomorrow -- whoop-de-do. The smattering of rain every 6 hours just makes things more unpleasant.

Steve
fair weather gardener
You and me Steve! Broke out the winter coats today! I read the 10 day and we're supposed to be 92 next week, go figure.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had been holding in the mid 70's for a few weeks, very pleasant to work in. We're just now hitting 80s and 90s. Most people around here open their pools on Memorial Day weekend, but it has been too cold to swim until now. Heat+rain and things are finally starting to take off growing. It has been very wet though. Next break between rainstorms and I am going to have to spray everything with fungicide.

I can't imagine such cold right now. Is that normal for you North-westerners this time of year?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
92°!!!! I don't want it to go from 54° to 92°!!!

Yes, the forecast is revised and with an 80% chance of rain and more wind, it's supposed to be an afternoon high of 54°, tomorrow!

Highs jumping like that would NOT be normal but cool cloudy springs are the usual. Then, it's hot, dry summers. Unless you are near the coast - then, you will either enjoy the cool and cloudy until October or, you will run screaming into the surf!

Steve

Latest posts