tis the season to get started

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
being a wonderful bluebird sky day and 59* decided to get motivated on a few gardening chores
trimmed up the muscadine grapes..
View attachment 34214
cleaned out all the birdhouses dang they were full
View attachment 34215
cleaned out the asparagus bed..
View attachment 34216
not much i can do at this point till the ground dries up a wee bit in the main garden, so the weeds have a chance to grow a little more..
View attachment 34218
and then there is the raised bed area..
View attachment 34217
all the wood is rotted in every bed, have decided not to go back to wood rather going to make them out of cinder blocks. plus going to reduce the size of the area, going to have 5 12x4 beds and a couple smaller ones for herbs and reduce the fencing as well...

it was fun having all those beds but as i get older it's just a little overwhelming.....

having thought about going back to pine, but that only last 2-3 years, the other option was pressure treated lumber yes that lasts longer, but cost is out of the question plus still to this day i dont feel comfortable using it in a veggie garden even though they say it's safe.

so going with cinder blocks and caps of course there made with fly ash from the power plants, but i can handle the lesser of the evils since they only use a small percentage into making them, the only draw back of using block it would be harder to do a winter garden if i wanted to that again. but the block will never need replacing.

Just judging it from a distance but I am guessing you have about 2 months worth of casual projects in front of you! Good Luck! Take Aspirin!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look at that sky!
You have a lot of projects on your plate Major. Cinder blocks are a good idea for once and done garden beds. We made ours out of redwood and they were still in great condition six years later when we moved, but they weren't cheap.

Since the snow is not too deep and it can be walked on without snowshoes I am planning on pruning all the apple trees this month. (didn't want you thinking you could out do me 😋 )

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son asked for some Purple Hull black-eyed peas seeds I saved from last year so I thought I'd do a germination test. I started these Tuesday night and this is Friday afternoon. I think the quality is good enough so I can give them to him with some confidence. 6 out of 6 works for me.

Germ Test.jpg

I have a lot if anyone is interested, just let me know.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son asked for some Purple Hull black-eyed peas seeds I saved from last year so I thought I'd do a germination test. I started these Tuesday night and this is Friday afternoon. I think the quality is good enough so I can give them to him with some confidence. 6 out of 6 works for me.

View attachment 34277

I have a lot if anyone is interested, just let me know.

pea picker babies! :)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
ordered seeds yesterday, picked up a bag of black gold this morning from my favorite hippie store,
IMG_1119[1].JPG

while there talked to them about differences in neem oils he recommended using bee safe....it's made with sesame oil and even safer than neem okay will give it a whirl once the bugs are out will report back on how it worked...
IMG_1117[1].JPG

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
since today will be sunny figure it's time to clean all the 4x4 pots and trays. count all the sturdy stakes on hand order as needed...
double count how many blocks and caps going to be used in the raised bed area....

Latest posts