1. Dismiss Notice
  2. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Featured Thread: Chipmunks !!!!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

To Garden or not to Garden?

Discussion in 'About Me & My Garden' started by journey11, Apr 18, 2017 at 7:51 PM.

1. Apr 20, 2017 at 4:59 PM
    lcertuche

lcertuche Deeply Rooted

Our dogs got into a unopened bag of 10-10-10 and drug it all over the driveway. Now I have a bucket full of 10-10-10, gravel, pine needles, leaves, dirt...

Well we no longer have those dogs after killing two more of my chickens but we do still have a little rotten chihuahua that sometime tries to scare the chickens but they lay into her and she decides to leave them alone. I'm thinking if we ever get a broody hen that will cure her forever.

As far as gardening with dogs I have had dogs in the past pull out plants, eat plants, dig up beds but they were usually very young dogs. Right now I'm waiting to get a fence up around my garden to put in the rest of my plants to keep the chickens out. Last year they weren't the least interested but this spring they discovered it. I vote you hang in and count it as experience.

2. Apr 21, 2017 at 1:16 AM
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

Glad they are gone, hope you can get some more chickens to replace the ones killed by the dogs.

3. Apr 21, 2017 at 2:17 PM
    lcertuche

lcertuche Deeply Rooted

Thanks Bay, I have some New Hampshire chicks that were suppose to be pullets. I think at least four are cockerels but at least they will taste good when tick season is past. I will be getting some more chicks soon if any of my pullets don't decide to go broody. I left a nest full of eggs in a nestbox in hopes it might encourage at least one of them. Anyway time will tell.

baymule likes this.
  4. Apr 21, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

Wow, good thing they didn't eat it. My dog probably would have! I did have one if my dogs tear into a bag of bonemeal once, but I figure that wouldn't hurt them. Hated to waste it though.

lcertuche likes this.