To The South Window!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug made the case in one of @Country Homesteader 's posts that young plant starts in sunny windows require frequent rotation.

I remember once coming to the conclusion that I shouldn't do that. Naw, FlowerBug is right, with the emphasis on "frequent." I had been tardy that one, early year, allowing plants to stretch, then I rotated. The result ~ they tied themselves in knots!

A part of my frequent rotation these days is moving plants in and out of the house to the greenhouse, daily. Waiting for the sun to warm the structure has meant early morning delays but we have been very lucky with daily sunshine this month. That's about to change.

The Weather Service is determined to make the case that we are on track to have clouds and storms. They are even making the case that snow is involved!

Well, the greenhouse is better in all cases re: sunlight but ... I have avoided turning on any supplemental heat in there. This is now likely to change.

The lawn between the backsteps and greenhouse has never been able to recover from Winter - there's just too much traffic over it! Transport is not a lot of fun, ferrying plants from here to there but it certainly builds an emotional attachment, kinda like carrying newborns around ;). I'll leave most/all of them in boarding school, tonight. Heat! Thermometer checking! Middle of the night treks to greenhouse to Check Thermostat! All that is about to start. Ugh ...

Steve!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
~ About those Giant Marconi Peppers, @Branching Out ~

They are doing better than any of the others. And, that is a good thing because they will need to be vigorous and of good size to produce those sweet peppers. Several types in the race this year, from sweet/bells to mildly hot, to fire crackers.

The Thai Hots, as always, are lagging in growth. It matters little because they are little plants with small fruits. Don't need much size with their supercharged character! They will likely be covered with fruit and will mature a crop each year - ahead of the Super Chili, which are a bit larger and lower in Heat. The bells are somewhat silly about our climate but I have the King of the North this year and Whopper - both tried-&-true. The hybrid Serrano and Early Jalapeno should do fine.

BTW, for you seedsavers, King of the North and Thai Hot are both open-pollinated. Straight Marconi is OP as well, altho I don't have one of those varieties in 2023.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have to rotate the amaryllis plants once a day or they'll lean right into the patio doors.

today is rain, rain and perhaps some snow tomorrow or tomorrow evening and then down to the mid-20s one night, yet next week they are already forecasting we might hit 70F. i'll believe it when i see/feel it...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The lawn between the backsteps and greenhouse has never been able to recover from Winter - there's just too much traffic over it! Transport is not a lot of fun, ferrying plants from here to there but it certainly builds an emotional attachment, kinda like carrying newborns around ;). I'll leave most/all of them in boarding school, tonight. Heat! Thermometer checking! Middle of the night treks to greenhouse to Check Thermostat! All that is about to start. Ugh ...
In terms of being a labor of love, that sounds more like pets than plants... or like babies? Hard to know where to draw the line sometimes, isn't it? (other than that line would be drawn in the dirt) :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zenergy.png
Heat's On!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i have to rotate the amaryllis plants once a day or they'll lean right into the patio doors.

today is rain, rain and perhaps some snow tomorrow or tomorrow evening and then down to the mid-20s one night, yet next week they are already forecasting we might hit 70F. i'll believe it when i see/feel it...
I have to rotate my pea plant when it is growing by the fireplace. It always starts leaning to the heat!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
After slowly getting my peppers acclimated I decided to leave them outside for the first time. Today they were kind of wimpy. Hope they recover. It was only mid 40's last night and since I figured today and tomorrow they were getting full sun and them planted that they would be fine. Looks like they have kind of perked up. I sure don't want to lose them.

Steve, do you pinch your peppers? I do and it get so many more branches which in turn produce more peppers! But this just seems to make them take longer to grow well at least for a couple weeks and then they take off again!

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary , I'd be afraid to slow them down!

Many growing seasons, I only have something like the Thai Hots that ripen. Big sweet peppers? Very seldom have time to ripen. They come into the kitchen green and that's okay. The last 2 seasons were excellent for peppers, however.

I should probably plant peppers in containers to benefit from being above ground but so far I have had plenty of plants/room. I learned last week that the distant garden property owner and gardening neighbor has died. We will see if his wife wants me out there in 2023 or if she has plans for selling the property. This was the story for the garden through the back fence here at home. I may be able to be over on that small piece of ground but, after the death of the previous neighbor, there are new owners. They had a garden their first year there but not in 2022.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should probably plant peppers in containers to benefit from being above ground but so far I have had plenty of plants/room. I learned last week that the distant garden property owner and gardening neighbor has died. We will see if his wife wants me out there in 2023 or if she has plans for selling the property. This was the story for the garden through the back fence here at home. I may be able to be over on that small piece of ground but, after the death of the previous neighbor, there are new owners. They had a garden their first year there but not in 2022.

sorry to hear about them passing away. if she sells would you consider buying it and moving there?